ISO-06B chain transmission dangers

I’ve recently had a 20 km/h to 0 crash in the forest because of a piece of wood stuck into the transmission.

APS 80100 motor 12 mm axle survived!

TRAMPA ultimate truck 10 mm titanium axle survived!

E-TOXX chain motor mount didn’t move.

Now I think not using transmission housing tub can be quite dangerous.

OVERION chain mount system is a bit different, because is has two parts :

This mount can not be used for 80100 motors, which are too longs and may be too heavy.

Maybe it could be possible to use a “weak” link (nylon? metal but thinner?) to prevent brutal stop in case something gets into transmission.

6 Likes

I had once something similar with a small stone. Lucky nothing bend, just had a not so pleasant stop.
I‘m not sure if I would like to have a weak link which might fail in the wrong moment.
Best way is probably really to just make the chain running enclosed.
But than I guess you use 42th sprockets the clearance is even less than it is already.

1 Like

Huge downfall of exposed drive trains… I had this happen with some thinner chain multiple times and the chain would just snap

2 Likes

here we should go,

I still don’t know what to do for my next Bro build … new chain drive or Gear drive … when you have test the helical e-toxx GD it’s hard to go back to chain also :thinking: hard time thinking

7 Likes

just the same xp, it was the worst during a long time with same chaine.
Hopefully you’re all good !

1 Like

Same thing happened to me only the stick didn’t wreak havoc on my drivetrain. I think a smaller wheel sprocket and maybe protective guards like many belt systems use would help reduce the chance or stop this from happening.

1 Like

This isn’t a chain drive specific issue, I have had this happen with a belt drive as well when a small stone got stuck in it. Not with quite such a dramatic effect on the drive train though.

@Riako all good no worries. Luckily I wasn’t too fast when it happened :sweat_smile:

1 Like