Infused cf board + enclosure

Hi, I have some stuff going on that you might find interesting!
I’m making a new composite board and an enclosure for 12s6p. (Edit: I decided on 12s4p 21700 which made it look nicer)

I made the layup like this:
Ud fibre 300gsm
Ncf 450gsm (45/45 degrees for that torsion stiffness)
Twill 600gsm
Soric 3mm (hex pattern infusion core)
Soric 2mm
Twill
Ncf
Ud

Im trying to make the most use possible out of the mpcnc for the nice product look :smile:

Its a successful infusion and cut out but a bit flexy. I think it will be perfect for me when the enclosure is built and mounted.
It came out looking real good😁

22 Likes

This looks very interesting. Is the core material open at the edges? Do you have something planned for this?

4 Likes

I will at least paint it!
The core is not as rough as it looks. It’s more a part of the board than any foam would be since it’s mostly epoxy now. I think it all should be a solid unit but testing will tell.

2 Likes

Great start! The board looks pretty thin though.
Where do you source materials for layup?

1 Like

Really thin! 6mm or so. But I have a neat idea for mounting the enclosure :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Interesting. Reminds me of a custom Orrsom profile in some ways.

2 Likes

Looking good. Although I thought you would sandwich that wood cutout from 1st pic between layers to prepare for enclosure

1 Like

Thanks! That piece is just an older experiment. The whole board is in the bag and I cut it out afterwards!

I made some progress with the model for my enclosure. I will make a two piece mold out of epoxy/glass fibre.
I really love the look of the UD fibre in the board. Too bad it will.be covered up :roll_eyes:


14 Likes

super interesting build so far, can’t wait to see more. I’m new to composite materials, is there a reason behind the particular layers you used for your layup?

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! :smile:
Basically the direction you lay the fibres determine which way you build strength. The unidirectional fibre is therefore extremely strong in the direction the fibres go.
Also the further they are apart thickness-wise the stiffer the board will be. That’s also why I put the UD furthest out on both sides.

2 Likes

very cool :+1: and I agree the UD looks great, reminds me of padded leather.

2 Likes

Following. Deck looks great. Hard to tell how much concave there is but looks beautiful

1 Like

nice work so far… I’m a couple of weeks behind you in pressing my deck… I’m watching and along to the adventure… looking sweet so far!!

if’m you get a chance, could you update us on the board specs? wheelbase? concave? max width? Please!!

2 Likes

But you are making a “super-3d-different-concaves-everywhere-board”! That takes sweet time…

I’ll upload a picture and some measurements :ok_hand:

1 Like

much appreciated… the more knowledge-base we have, makes the science much simpler… we can all learn from each others work…

I’ve never actually made a sk8board deck

2 Likes

I’ve done some sanding work and now the enclosure is almost ready for the next step. I just need to get some nice radius in the bottoms in between!


7 Likes

Here’s the measurements of the deck :grin:
Length: 1000mm / 39.3"
Width: 245mm / 9.6"
Wheelbase: 900mm / 35.4"
Weight: 1200gram
Camber: 4mm from middle to foot
Concave: 9mm from middle to edge, but it evens out in the middle.

2 Likes

I made some progress this weekend. Its slow going :sleeping:
I’m making a mold of the wooden battery pack shape. So far I’ve prepared the wood with a 1k Grey primer, sanded and finished with a 2k clear coat

Then made some fillets with the filleting wax and started applying release agent.

But now the weekend is over :persevere: I wanna work more!!

5 Likes

The mold is in place and now I wait.

I know many of you like this kind of work so I will try to be detailed in case it helps someone.

It’s a three-part mold which is separated by polycarbonate barriers. This way I can split the mold, making the release easier. Unfortunately this is never going to be an easy mold…

First two sides done. The metal rods that are mounted through the panel will help with alignment later. The layup is incredibly important so as not to get air bubbles between gelcoat and glass fibre.
My mold layup:

  1. Release agent. Six times.

  2. Gel coat
    Apply two times if I will be using the mold a lot.

  3. Filleting and first layer
    I mix up some resin, carbon dust and chopped strand glass fibre
    to make my own filler based on the same epoxy used in the rest
    of the mold put a shit load of this in everywhere not flat. It makes
    life easier. After that I apply one layer of non crimp fabric NCF
    real careful with as little bubbles as possible.

  4. Four NCF layers to make it strong.

I had some of the last step 4 epoxy (dyed blue) run through. Thats really mysterious. Luckily there was release agent applied there so I could remove it. Phew :sweat_smile: I also removed the polycarbonate. Later the yellow filleting wax too.

Next comes more release stuff on the new black surface and then the process starts again.

If you squint and zoom in this picture above you can see the filler. I decided to put it in the cavities between the battery compartments.

Step three done:

Step four done:

Back to waiting now for two days :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes