In over my head 😬

Hey everyone thanks in advance for checking out and chiming in.
Alrighty so I purchased a Ownboard bamboo AT (150 mm honeycomb and 120 cloud). Didn’t do my proper research and now stuck with a paperweight. I’m already past trying to warranty or purchase parts from them. It seems the ESC has some crazy voltage regulator problems and I can’t get the board to stay on, volts drop to 8v as soon as motor spins. So armed with my limited knowledge and endless thirst of impulse buying :roll_eyes:, I set off on a journey…

Flipsky 4.2 mini (two ESC’s)
Mico jst 2.0 ph 4 pin connector
Xt60 connectors
M.2 heatsinks (x4 already have these)
180a anti spark (with on/off switch)
Flipsky VX2 remote (for V4)

So the plan was to replace the speed controller but I’m quickly realizing this is all over my head. Also flipsky might be as crappy as ownboard’s hobbywing Frankenstein. The battery is 10s4p sanyo Ga cells. Ownboard’s two stock Motors 6368 170Kv 1500 Watt.
I’m just a bit lost… Is that the right cable for the canbus? It’s it suggested to actually plug in ESC to ESC or do you splice the remote wires to each ESC? The Esk8 Calc suggests 40a cont.- 80a max, does that sound right for battery and mini ESC? To get specs of motor, I run a detection in program tool with belts off? Just programming this thing in general is hurting my brain.
Thanks for any input and sorry for my ignorance LoL

3 Likes

you run the ESC together with this pin connecting the two.

you then set one to be the master and one to be slave.

it does sound like you have quite the project lol. i’m not familiar with ownboard but if they’re like a few other brands you’re not going to be able to use the battery unless you’re using the matching ESC from them… i’m sure some more experienced guys can chime in

2 Likes

also yes. flipsky is pretty shit for the most part.

5 Likes

but also, what exactly did you do to the original board…? you did contact ownboards correct ?

1 Like

If your volts drop under load I figure your battery has a broken connection / dead p group(s)

Do you have a multimeter?

6 Likes

I have used ownboard’s battery (10s2p 40T) with @dickyho’s 4wd esc, no problem at all.

1 Like

Before making any plans at all, you need to find the root to your problem. Assumptions or aimlessly replacing parts will be costly. Alot of people here can guide you through your troubleshooting.

After that we can talk parts.

7 Likes

Yes I contacted them. I believe I’ll be receiving a complete New setup or refund. It came completely DOA. Their CS is actually pretty good but I’m seeing tons of broken batteries and/or ESC on the bamboo deck.

Yes I have multimeter but limited electronic knowledge.
I’ve Opened enclosure, connected multimeter to ± in-between battery and ESC, @ 38v, turned on board, connected remote, accelerate, volts drop to 9 then start to build back up to ~38, try again with same result
Then I’ve disconnected xt60 connecting the ESC, disconnected mt60’s connecting motors. Mulitmeter in between each 4packs, try to wiggle/bend battery enclosure (everything is coated in some resin💀), voltage seemed stable…
Plugged in ESC, voltage drop.
Cut ± wires from switch, tie together, ~37v, plugged in ESC xt60, voltage drop to 8v

I feel like I’m the receptionist at the doctor’s office trying to diagnose you lol

1 Like

Hold off on cutting things for now :joy: if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing, don’t do it.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s when I realized I’m in over my head lol

2 Likes

Like someone previously stated it does sound like its the battery.
If you had an alternative voltagesource to supply the esc you could confirm this.

Another way would be if you could power something of the battery to see if it seems to behave as bad.

1 Like

Don’t worry. You’ve come to the right place! Some lurker here has probably had the identical situation and he’s just waiting to spill his knowledge :joy:

I can’t think of anything that I could hook up to try and I don’t have another battery like that either

If you think you’ll be more invested into electronics this point forward I sudgest investing in a cheap power supply. You can find a semi decent one for around 50-70 Euro/silver dollars

2 Likes

Plug the voltmeter into the pack and wiggle it. If the voltage drops when u wiggle that’s a broken connection.

3 Likes

I just did a battery replacement on an OB bamboo. The BMS appeared to be the issue. I didn’t fully dive into the diagnoses of it, but I did see the same large voltage drop.

The integration of the BMS into the battery PCB for the cell groups makes it a serious pain to try and just change the BMS

5 Likes

This looks like hell on earth.

3 Likes

Ah I’ve seen @A13XR3 ur type online as someone was repairing a post on each pack. Mine looks quite a bit different and I believe the BMS looks separate but everything is coated in resin. Wish I took more pics, this was before disassembly.

3 Likes

The stuff melts and reacts to mineral spirits but my good God there’s a lot of it. Seems they don’t want you servicing any of their products

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much I want to invest into specific tools but if it would help work on/build eboards & Ebikes might be willing to spend $
Is This what you talking about? Is that enough amps?