I rode a Kaly and fell in love

Last night I rode a Kaly and really liked it. I didn’t think I’d be a fan of channel trucks, but they rode nice. The gear drive was almost silent! Now I want to build one. Asking for some help with the build because I really don’t know mountain boards.
Deck. Kaly sport hard
Trucks. Mbs matrix 2? Opinions welcome…
Wheels. New etoxx wide w/8" tires
Gear drives? 4:1 opinions welcome…
Batteries (6) 10,000mah 4s 3s2p
Escs. Foc/neobox. Opinions welcome…
I’d like to not spend a fortune on this. I know kaly tricks and gear drives are really nice, but I’m looking for cheaper alternatives… also what’s the deal with the angular contact bearings?

8 Likes

Talk to E-Toxx (@NoWind) , his helical gear drive for MBS Matrix IIs is epic. See if you can pick up a deck from @Kaly, he is usually great about helping people figure out how to make things happen.

10 Likes

Thanks @mmaner I’m already planning on going with etoxx wheels. I’ll contact them about the gear drive.

4 Likes

angular contact bearings are designed to accommodate combined radial and axial loads simultaneously

6 Likes

Thanks @kook what are the benefits to using them in comparison to regular bearings, and do they fit in any other rims?

2 Likes

As helicals spin they impart an axial load to the bearings. Regular roller bearings dont like this - they only want to bear a load radially. you want angular contact bearings to compensate for the axial load and the radial load.

7 Likes

In actual practice I haven’t felt any significant difference in ride-ability or feel, as for durability we’ll see I only have a bit over 500 miles on mine. But I’m cautiously optimistic as there are two rows of bearings to support the load vs. the standard single row.

The ones that Ernesto uses, and that are listed on his site are pretty non-standard bearings, 28mm x 10mm x and due to the angular contact are 15mm wide. I’m far from an expert in channel trucks but other than Kaly hubs and trucks, I think you’ll find limited applications that fit these particular bearings due to the axle bore size and width.

the image that is on the site is crap, but I think you can get my drift…
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/201c1e_cdde6fcfb9b5404581eadf915fab5af6~mv2_d_2880_2880_s_4_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_980,h_551,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/201c1e_cdde6fcfb9b5404581eadf915fab5af6~mv2_d_2880_2880_s_4_2.webp

3 Likes

@mmaner do you have any other recommendations for affordable gear drivers? Those etoxx are beautiful, but $750 is a little out of my budget.

4 Likes

3DS’ SS Drive is about half that.

4 Likes

Talk to @moon. His AT Gear Drive is solid as a rock, it’s also inexpensive. The 3DS Gear Drive is also really good, but it’s almost the same price as E-Toxx’s.

4 Likes

If he goes for straight cut, then it cost 500€ for a pair of 1:5 ratio etoxx gear drives

2 Likes

E-toxx straight is €355, helical €500
3d servisas straight is €299
Ernesto said he still has some first gen straight gear boxes on his shelf collecting dust, maybe reach out to him

7 Likes

+1 on the @moon drive. I have a set of the betas and put 100-150 miles on them, took them apart and they still look brand new. He has an MBS clamp for them too

4 Likes

Do note the exact specs of single row angular contact bearings, a lot of angular contacts are complete fill, which are not meant for high speed rotation, more thrust load like a pivot point. Those bearings will destroy themselves at high speed because there is no retainer to separate the bearings. Also they only work one way, the bearings will easily separate when pushed the other direction (i.e. braking load). Sometimes even held together by just a cir-clip ring on the non-load side. They also often require a pre-load tension to work properly, such as a strong spring or some kind of axle compression set nut. Deep groove ball bearings is probably a better choice as they can stand quite a bit of side load both ways.

3 Likes

@Itsmedant do you know why the moon drives do not work with etoxx wheels? Im reading up on the moon drives and saw a comment that they do not work with etoxx wheels?

2 Likes

Other mounting holes

3 Likes

Do @NoWind hub mate directly to @Duffman wheel gear, or is a wheel adapter provided to make that happen?

3 Likes

The are directly flanged together

3 Likes

@Mainflow those are the exact wheels im going to use. What gear drive are you using? Any chance of an adapter to user those wheels on the moon drive?

3 Likes

A mbs maxi drive with 1:5 gear ratio. Note that these cost you 200€ raw and 250 anodized.

3 Likes