I broke a Unity

So during a ride a few weeks ago my board started acting weird so I stopped to check and left motor was not spinning and making a loud noise. I assumed my motor just died on me it was an older motor so I was okay with that. Yesterday I install a new motor do. Motor detection and the same noise happens again same side.
I check fault codes and see this

:frowning: I put my spare unity in and I’m riding again even my other motor is fine (the one I thought was bad)

Who fixes unities? I didn’t think I could break one.

8 Likes

Paging @JohnnyMeduse

3 Likes

@onloop does all the repairs by hand now right?

14 Likes

Same DRV on each side as before afaik? with single MCU. Shouldn’t have thought much difference in susceptibility to drv error, apart from better cooling?

Were you cranking it on with strong settings & 300lb iirc?

2 Likes

Not even, I have pushed alot of power through the unity np but it failed while I was derping around in a parking lot right before the group ride going less than 10mph

2 Likes

Stumped mate, replace the drv via your favorite :mage:‍♂

3 Likes

Talked to the DRV wizard my Unity and a few focboxes will be going his way tomorrow morning.

7 Likes

Not trying to be a dickhead or anything. But you’re too heavy for the Unity dude. :wink:

8 Likes

Lmao it was probably physics.

4 Likes

Guys as I said to many customer DRV_ERROR does not necessary mean that the DRV is blow, like a check engine doesn’t mean that your engine is completely dead. It could just be a resistor or a cap that is sightly damage. Could also be just a mosfet.

DRV_ERROR is just an error code.

7 Likes

Stop calling everyone fat, penicillin dick.

10 Likes

Ah. My old highschool nickname.

12 Likes

I tried to write Pencil but my phone’s autocorrect had other plans so I ran with it.

:kissing_heart:

8 Likes

Drv looks melty

5 Likes

DRV acne, rub in antiseptic cream or witch hazel stick

4 Likes

Yeah the ic got hot, the wavy stuff is the conformal coating that bubbled from the heat.

Interesting enough, that’s the buck side of the drv. Could be some debris shorting out the 5V causing the drv to heat up and throw an error.

Either way a careful inspection is needed, maybe a drv replacement

10 Likes

Some ramen and superglue should fix that with no problems

7 Likes

LOL probably not. I’ve seen bigger people ride unities.

indeed. first thing i would do is re-flash the firmware and see if it just made itself stupid. That happened on the group ride in colorado with @RuinousMarmalade 's board, very similar symptoms. I flashed it and re-ran detection and set her up again and she was fine.

ok now that i see that pic, maybe flashing won’t help. Either way, i seriously doubt the rider’s weight had anything to do with it. it kind of does look like a short of some kind.

2 Likes

Haha. I was actually making fun of something that Jason says to bigger riders when their products goes to shit. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh shit! Somebody’s making fun of Jason!

6 Likes