Hulk Shorty | TB 6380 | DIY FB Enclosure | Maker X mini FOC plus ESC | 12s3p 40T |

Cheers @nomadic_myke :blush:

Pretty happy with the outcome aesthetically, not so much performance! Not quite finished as I need to run cables better (stuck down with tape) and cover properly. Also something went wrong on maiden voyage that I’ll try work out later as feeling a bit sore and sorry for myself lol.

Locked up at around 30ish km/h at a guess when accelerating up a small incline. Threw me off!

4 Likes

Kinda late to the party on this, but this could work as a waterproof sealant as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1031-Tire-Repair-Plugs/dp/B000ET8D0G/ref=sr_1_8?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Tire%2BRepair%2BKits&qid=1615570458&s=automotive&sr=1-8&ts_id=15706711&th=1

I love short board with a kick and if I accelerate to hard it throws my balance Its a very different beast to push boards. The shorter stance and the rear foot Balance takes a bit to get used to. Still my fav board for short rides.

3 Likes

So the reason I went flying appears to be my TB6380 shorted. (EDIT: My ESC was to blame!) I was unable to get it working again. Looks perfect from outside so must have an internal short. Weird thing was it bench tested fine but under load it didn’t feel right from the get go. It seemed totally gutless and the brakes almost felt non existent too. It’s completely stuffed now :cry:. Not a great introduction to my felt belt drive :grimacing:

I got hold of a Marsen 6374 and it seems my ESC is still good which is a relief.( Edit: although the esc detected the 6374 it became problematic again then wouldn’t detect new motor. Wasted $ getting a new motor and am now in need of a new esc :man_facepalming:)

Hopefully I can get this back on the road soon.

Marsen motor has a 10mm shaft though so need to shave a little metal from my mount. :crossed_fingers:it doesn’t weaken the mount.

1 Like

How did you find the short? Does it fail a hand test?

1 Like

It’s hard to tell honestly. It seems to have choppy breaks when two phase wires are touching but to me doesn’t seem consistent when changing phase wires. But hard to tell. Can it be subtle or very noticeable in feel?

It seems to make a bit of noise spinning with no phase wires touching though. Like little clicks sort of. The new Marsen motor doesn’t make any sound at all :man_shrugging:

TB fails to work at all when running wizard in VESC app. The Marsen motor detects perfect in the wizard.

Edit: there appears to be more than meets the eye. My GO-FOC mini seems to be kaput now. I’ve had to connect the new motor to one of my DV6s from my 4wd board and all is well (other than Hoyt Puck no longer working too :man_shrugging:). The TB6380 may not have been at fault but too nervous to plug it in and try.

Edit and update: looks like TB6380 is fine. Detected fine. It was the Maker X mini plus that was the culprit.

2 Likes

Finally somewhat finished and in a rideable state. I’ve had to use a Maker X DV6 ESC and VX2 remote out of my 4wd to get this Hulk shorty running. Currently sensorless running: Battery 60, -50 Motor 70, -60
The Marsen 6374 packs a decent punch (15T motor pulley, 40T wheel pulley). I’m still to do a proper run and range test. I was very nervous testing this after I got thrown previously.

I’ve got a BN hanger and motor mount on order so will mount the TB6380 on that with Evolve 97s for an easy switch out. Will run that sensored.

Now to get out and enjoy this thing.

5 Likes

I think I need to change my pants

1 Like

Do the trucks have clearance to lean all the way over? If you take off the roadside bushings it’s real easy to check lean clearances in regards to wheelbite and also the motor hitting. If they don’t, add some riser and try again.

This looks awesome. I’d bump up motor max a bit past 70A, maybe to 100A or even more. Consider lowering battery max to like 30A. (Sounds funny, but don’t knock what you haven’t tried :smirk:) Keep the throttle curve at 0%/0%. Just my $0.02

2 Likes

Yeah I have it set with no bite. Already got that trick from you :blush:. I’ll bump up motor amps when I get a bit more confident on it for sure. The single drive is quite a different feel. Appreciate the feedback :+1::blush:

1 Like

I completely fucked up my last motor mount by not waiting long enough for loctite to dry then by riding it 15km rattling around loose lol

So now gone with wheel upgrade (Evole 97s) and new motor mount from BN, and back to original TB6380.
Needed to hack into the Boardnamics motor mount unfortunately with a grinder as enclosure too close.

@b264 I’ve gone with your advice and bumped Motor amps up to 95 (may go higher) and dropped battery amps to 50 (yes I know it’s not 30 like u said but will try that too afterwards to see if there’s much difference). Still unsensored for now.

Looking forward to riding it tmw :blush:

5 Likes

I can relate to this so hard it’s silly.

This is why prebuilts are good for first time builders, and having multiple DIY boards is good for seasoned builders.

That way, you have a different skate to ride while the Loctite is curing.

3 Likes

Not convinced on single motor build to be honest. My continual issues haven’t helped though.
Put a Torque6 ESC in and ran sensorless FOC but brakes cut out on me and I flew off again. Upon testing it was doing weird things.

Thought it was possible it was motor related so changed out for another and same issue on bench:

Ended up updating firmware on Torque6 ESC and hooked up hall sensors and problem seems to have gone :crossed_fingers: Extended phase wires too as they were a tad short.

I still feel incredibly nervous riding this thing! Once I get out a bit more without issues I may start to enjoy it but it’s got a long way to go to impress me haha.

I feel myself probably going to hub motors on this one. :crossed_fingers: loaded hubs come down in price perhaps.

1 Like

we all wish that for god knows how long :joy:
nice to see ur build working out

1 Like

Isn’t that sort of stalling because the sensors aren’t connected so the esc is trying to figure out where the magnets are?

No, this is another thing.

Don’t think so as Brian mentioned. My other build is running sensorless in FOC and no issues.
It was doing weird shit under load whilst already moving. Stutter on acceleration and cutting out on brakes. I’m not sure what fixed the problem as I did a few things. Could be just because I connected sensors or maybe it was re-loading firmware?? Not sure.

1 Like

This board hates me haha!! Tried updating firmware on Torque6 ESC to 5.2 from 5.1. The BLE module stopped working after the update so I pulled out the old PC and waited the 30mins or so it takes to turn to connect manually. When I plugged in the data cable the USB C port on the ESC came loose. I opened her up to discover it was broken :man_facepalming:. Now I have a dead Torque6 ESC it appears as I can’t repair it.

Back to the old trusty DV6!! (which is lying around waiting to go back in 4wd DD). Updated to firmware 5.2 and all running nice again. For how long though? Probably 1 more ride knowing my luck lol

3 Likes

You can probably use CANBUS (instead of USB)(through another ESC) to connect to that ESC still and get it into a mode (UART) where you can use bluetooth again.

3 Likes