How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC

Yeah, the logs above are with a crap Chinese battery. 13s4p with cheap 7A rated cells (no mooch test, they are that unknown).

Maybe I was too critical of your battery… it actually looks like it’s sagging about as much as expected (this would be 30A)

4 Likes

Nice tool! What are you using? (edit: never mind)

BTW, I checked the 0-20mph time on the 50pA log. It says 11s.
Man that’s as slow as my first Xiaomi M365 (after removing the speed limit) :joy:

1 Like

Holy crap that’s slow lol

The Revel kit does it in 7.5 seconds and that isn’t even that fast

1 Like

Im running the hacked FW on a ninebot max with a DIY 14s6p packs with new Panasonic icr18650bd cells No BMS, broke the pack into two 7s6p packs with balance taps so I can charge with my RC chargers.

I started using the 75100 w the stock 10s pack, definite improvement from stock but wanted more speed. Added a 3s6p for a 13s pack. More speed but not what I expected. So I decided to build a 14s pack. Been riding with the 14s pack for about a week on stock FW. It was pretty good, way more than most normal people would be happy with but being pretty familiar with bldc motors powered by high current lithium batteries I felt the motor/battery combo was capable of more than I was getting out of it. The hub motors in these scooters are incredible, nice thin laminations, beautiful windings, small airgap, five years ago just the motor itself would cost more than the scooter. The are very conservatively rated IMO.

I saw jaykups hacked FW and decided to flash it. I ran the FOC wizard and basically left the settings the same as I set them with the stock FW. Not sure what the difference is but man, I was shocked, it turned this nb max into an unleashed monster. Much more power, its exactly what I was hoping for.

Unfortunately no logs as Ive been too lazy to install a NRF. Ill report back when I do.

5 Likes

I do have an accurate speed measurement though. 28mph, doesn’t take long to get there either. The acceleration is the best part actually, its incredible!

One of those “courtesy” radar signs on the road is right down from where Im at. Measured with a fully charged pack at 4.2V per cell 58.8V . Im going to back off to 4V per cell for longevity but wanted to see what she could do.

I really need some sort of logging. Then I will be able to tell the whole story.

Not a bad controller IMO.

Yeah, something isn’t set up correctly. Battery not capable, mismatched motor, wrong settings.

That’s really interesting that the performance increased. Hopefully there were some setting changes that can account for it as the hacked version should be a close to stock as possible. Maybe loading firmware reset all the settings and you had some better settings the second time around. What are your battery and motor amps?

Either way glad to hear it’s working well! If you notice anything strange let me know.

For logging those standard NRF modules and the android VESC app will work. It saves a CSV file that can be loaded into the desktop VESC tool. It’s not as user friendly as a metr, but it works.

VESC 6 esk8 log

After reading about your experiences with the controller I’m sure something doesn’t add up with my setting.

Basically there are just 2 possibilities:

1. The controller can’t handle 20S properly.
  2. The controller and the motor do not match in some way. I might also change the phase wires, since the stock ones on the motor side are very thin.
1 Like

I’m running 20s 40a with 1200w brushless motor, everything ok, 55km flat, 68 downhii have more or less default settings with max amp phase and 40a battery

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences!

Are you using it on a bike or scooter? What motor are you exactly using and do you have any log files?

1 Like

Im using on costum ebike, my motor is 10" 1200w from escooter. I will share some logs, where to upload them? New user can’t upload

2 Likes

Looks like the same style of 5" motor I am using.
So you run the ESC without enclosure?

@xsynatic

let your magic happen.

I unfortunately have no user related magic.

He can share it with someone via PM, so the other can share it for him.

1 Like

@Xgunax if you like you can pm me.

You might have to PM him, new users cant start PM dialogues either.

2 Likes

I loaded 5.03 beta and gave field weakening a shot. Wow.

The geared hub motor is actually an inrunner and seemed to take very well to FW compared to some disappointing bench tests on a standard esk8 outrunner. I did two runs back to back on the same stretch. There is a flat stretch long enough to get to top speed, then a fairly steep hill climb.

My metr was mounted in a bad location so I didn’t get very good logs, but I’ll try again later and post some.

65 battery amps (two 13s4p batteries in parallel) and 70 motor amps on 15awg wire LOL

Run 1: 0A FW (base speed). 22mph top speed on the flat, 20mph up the hill.
Run 2: 30A FW. 27.5mph top speed on the flat, 22mph up the hill
Run 3: 40A FW. 29mph top speed on the flat

Uphill performance barely improved and this makes sense now that I think about it. Field weakening current takes from the maximum motor current pool so there isn’t much additional power available as most is being used to overdrive the motor.

The power requirements are enormous above base speed. It’s pretty much pegged at 50A cruising at 28mph, vs when it’s below base speed the amps vary depending on the load. That also meant that the controller hit 70C pretty quickly. Feature wise it would be nice if field weakening only worked when a button was being held. That would allow it to work as a sort of a temporary afterburner so you didn’t drain your battery and cook your windings.

7 Likes

This would be really great!

3 Likes

Recorded a few logs testing field weakening and continuous amps before overheating/thermal throttling.

ESC was set to 65A battery & 70A motor. Mounted inside a plastic box with zero air flow. Couldn’t get this motor to take more than 50-60A (500w geared hub with 15awg phase wires).

Top speed test. This is a flat stretch, then uphill/downhill, turn around, steeper uphill/downhill and flat.

0A field weakening. 22mph top speed on full 13s battery.

40A field weakening. 30mph top speed!

Thermal throttle test. Mostly flat, some hills.

0A field weakening. Full throttle for about 5 miles, drawing about 600-700w on average at 20mph. Ran cool staying under 60C (started hot from previous runs). Sensible 33wh/mi

40A field weakening. Backed off the throttle to keep the amps steady at 35-45A, drawing about 1100-1200w on average at 25-28mph. Temperature slowly increased to 83C and started to thermal throttle after about 10 minutes. Without any airflow it looks like the max continuous motor amps is about 35A. Hilarious 50wh/mi

2 Likes

The only thing he hacked was making a legal version that isn’t stolen property. It should perform the same as the version that Flipsky stole from Vedder. Just legally.

3 Likes