How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC

now i understand your support thing, i dont ever visit that thread, i dont have a printer.

what if i just pumped it up with silicone, i threw the case away a while ago. that sounds like it would be my best bet.

pumped what with silicone sorry?

1 Like

like stuck the head of the silicone bottle down in all the cracks of everything and squeezed it to hold everything in place

this is bordering on out of my knowledge, but silicone is very useful for damping and as a light duty adhesive; if you have two components standing side by side that can support their own weight and you’re just trying to stop them vibrating or wobbling then silicone is ideal, as in A below (side to side arrow is vibrational force). But in B it’s not enough. B.1 is arguably almost ok, the side to side vibration of the capacitor relative to the board can probably be managed but the gravity pulling the capacitor down (blue arrow down) is a lot. In B.2 it’s not enough, the weight of the board is a big lever pulling down from that point to bend the mosfet legs and strain the connection to the heatsink, and the only thing resisting that is the silicone

I’d welcome any people with more PCB or device design experience tbh, paging @DerelictRobot and @Battery_Mooch

2 Likes

Agreed, any vibration or movement just results in metal fatigue and/or breaking of seals or the fracturing of the black epoxy case of a component. You want the component locked to the pcb (silicone in the right place and quantity can definitely do this) and then to minimize the vibration/impact the entire PCB experiences.

2 Likes

My friends ebike that spawned this whole firmware creation thread has been completely rebuilt and we took it on a test run last weekend.

• 2x 20s4p P26A custom packs inside a Hailong G80 case with LLT BMS
  • Leaf Motor 9x7T direct drive hub on a 27.5 inch wheel. Top speed of about 33mph fully charged.
  • 75100 V1 ESC running 5.3 hacked firmware.

Set the ESC to 100 battery, 100 motor amps, but never got over 77 amps on the motor. I think the phase wire are too long and small (12-13 gauge or 3mm2) to get the full 100 amps. Would like to switch to 10awg silicone at least.

The bike had a fairly heavy load. He was pulling a trailer with his 6 year old in it, had several batteries in the tail bag for spares for other bikes on the ride, and is a fairly big guy. Batteries were only charged to 80%. We swapped batteries at the mid point.

Overall performance was pretty good. Unloaded it accelerates a bit slower than my skateboard (12s4p 30Q single 6374 motor with a Trampa V6 on 90mm thanes with tall 16/36 gearing set to 80A battery, and 80A motor) but has nice power delivery and keeps pulling well to top speed.

The ESC touched 80C a few times, but no noticeable thermal throttling. Field weakening was not active. Was about 60 degrees out. We are thinking of moving the ESC to the front of the bike to get some air flow over it and cool it down.

Curious to see if it will keep working through the season. The temperature sensor just sits on the aluminum bar that the mosfets are attached to, so I think the mosfet temp reading would be somewhat delayed. I guess as long as the temperature doesn’t rise too quickly, it should be able to thermal throttle in time to prevent a failure. I still think cooling is the most important problem to solve with this ESC.

3 Likes

Thanks for that post!

I agree…hugely delayed IMHO and significantly below the actual MOSFET temp. Especially if a thermistor is being used. They already have a delay (response time) of about a minute and their shape makes it hard to thermally couple them well to anything flat, leading to low temp readings.

1 Like

Hey. I am looking for a v6.0 beta (latest from GitHub) binary for Flipsky 75100V202.

I am required to use the Lisp feature from the v6.0, but after compiling 75_300 (with phase filtering disabled and adjusted maximum settings) I always ran into issues. Most of them noticed when using Lisp with M365 Dashboard script.

For example, issues like:
“dashboard light is turning on and off when accelerating motor”, which is being read by gpio-read 'pin-rx and somehow starting motor is causing it to read something from RX. :thinking:
and motor doing weird noises and jittering making it impossible to properly drive.

So, there are likely a few hardware differences between the 75100V202 and the default 75_300 firmware. Can someone help me out with this?

1 Like

Yes, you cannot use the 75_300 firmware configuration. If you are already at the compiling stage, just use my .c and .h files from the “Source & archive files” section on the main post. Then adjust the conf_general.h to use those files.

1 Like

Thank you, I have now compiled the firmware from GitHub with your .c and .h files. It works good and seems fine for now. I will report back if I notice any other issues, but so far all issues seem to be gone.

I also noticed, temperature reading was wrong on 75_300 as well, it always showed like 30-31, now it shows 21 (like on v5.2 and 5.3).

1 Like

A lot of new info has come out in the past 5 months since I first created the original post.

I updated the first post to detail out Flipsky’s shady business practices including the story behind the original creator of the unit, and why there are now two versions.

4 Likes

That’s some great work, very positive for the community as opposed to Flipsky’s bullshit

2 Likes

Hi, i bought one of these controllers, and i would like to thank you a lot for the work you did, i installed it on my scooter and managed to configure the motor for now, i also updated the firmware and it went flawlessly.
Many thanks.

1 Like

is this version compatible with new flat aluminium PCB 75100? did anyone try?
I have disassembled the ESC, but it doesn’t seem to have version written anywhere on the PCB on the front side - I don’t want to disassemble heatsink side, as they used thermal paste to from MOSFETs to back plate. Also, it uses 2 PCBs now - top one holds chipset with connectors and bottom side hosts all power components.

In the VESC tool, what does the current HW / firmware name show?

Can you see the shunt ohm values? Is it still low side shunts? If you had some PCB pics that would help too

here is youtube of teardown of new Flipsky Dual FSESC75100 Alu.PCB

3 Likes

The layout looks decent. The mosfet package looks like a HSOF-8 which gives me hope it will be a decent performer. I can’t tell exactly which model it is from the video, but the 100v Infineon version of that is only 2.6 mOhms with a very fast rise/fall time. They have the heat sink on the bottom side of the board, rather than the top of the mosfet case which will improve cooling a lot.

I hope the logic board can be pulled off the power board, otherwise having to desolder all those pins would make repairs will be a lot more difficult.

If the firmware that comes on it is 75_300_R2 then the V2 firmware I posted should work. It’s still using low side shunts, so it shouldn’t be using the 75_300_R2 firmware in the first place since that uses high side shunts.

Knowing the value/marking on this resistor would help to confirm.

5 Likes

I got my hands on the aluminum single PCB version that my friend is going to use on his eBike. Some good news, some areas for improvement.

The 75_100_v2 firmware will work better than the 75_300_R2 that it ships with

The stock firmware is limited to 72v, and has a bunch of hardware configs that don’t match the actual hardware (phase filters, phase shunts, etc). The custom firmware can go up to 120v, but not recommended to go over 96v.

Design issues

• Capacitors still not siliconed down
  • Logic board soldered to the power board. Cannot be removed without desoldering about 24 pins.
  • Thermal paste between the board and heatsink instead of a silicone pad makes disassembly a pain.
  • Wire exits have no grommets. Twice I’ve seen phase wires split their insulation open where it meets the aluminum case on similar designs and short out the MCU.

Wire exits on the new version

Interesting design features

• Mosfets have some really nice specs compared to the older model. They are also surface mount rather than TO-220
    ** New - HUAYI HYG015N10NS1TA - HSOF-8, 100V, 380A, 1.2 mΩ
    ** V201/V202 - MDP10N027 - TO-220, 100v, 120A, 2.5 mΩ
  • All the components are on one side of the board. Probably as a cost saving measure, but cooling the board below the mosfets instead of on top should improve thermal performance quite a bit.
  • Wiring for the UART/PWM/etc are included and easily removeable without disassembly, unlike the V1 and V2.

It comes with 75_300_R2 5.2 stock.

I ran the motor detection twice using an 80-80 160kv motor for a few firmware options. Interesting results. This motor normally detects at about 88A / 10 mΩ on most ESCs. The new version using the custom firmware detects the closest, and the 75_300 firmware is a bit off.

I ran an 80A thermal throttle test on the bench using “foc_openloop 80 1000”. With stock settings (85C), the VESC firmware starts reducing current at 77.5C.

REALLY impressive thermal performance. The 12AWG wires got hotter than the case. Even beats a Trampa VESC 6 with 60V direct fets by a large margin… and highlights just how poor the thermal performance of the old version is.

9 Likes

@jaykup I have the original 75100 the thicker aluminium enclosure. Do I need from open up the enclosure to find out which firmware to use ? 75100V201 vs 75100V202

2 Likes

You can use firmware for 75100V201

The v201 came with “75_100”. The v202 came with “75_300_R2”