How to make an XT90 Loop Key

This diagram is all I needed :ok_hand:

Maybe you should add one to the first post @b264

2 Likes

@moon Done :ballot_box_with_check:

Thanks @iespobolamas, I edited your image slightly and added it to the top post

2 Likes

Thanks I felt like you taught us how to solder it all but not how to wire it thanks

1 Like

Awesome!

is there a reason some people use Anti Spark devices instead of a loop key? this seems way simpler and less likely to fail

Imo people chase the dream of perfectly watertight cases. Having a foolproof antispark with push to start inside the enclosure is a step closer to reaching that goal

2 Likes

thanks, so there’s no functional difference in what they do?
I’ll stick with a loop key and some hot glue :)!

As to differences, @b264 aka “the breaker of antisparks” (yup I rebaptised you) would have more info as to why he keeps trying to have one that works :joy:

2 Likes

TL;DR there aren’t really any “good” options for that yet. Once there are, loopkey will be cheaper. Until then, loopkey is better and cheaper.

1 Like

thanks Brian

I know “traditional” switches are not used because of the spark. But do 90a rated toggle switches with a bleed resistor exist?

Pretty much a look key, but instead of ripping it out, its like a traditional switch. (More noob friendly i guess)

the only one I have found is here. It doesn’t look incredibly robust and its still 30 bucks shipped, so I don’t see an advantage over existing AS switches.

1 Like

Check out @deckoz’s as150 anti spark switch!

3 Likes

Trying to make a more compact loopkey,
any thoughts re encasing the bare joints in epoxy resin,
does it conduct at all once fully cured? or maybe just fill it all with hot glue?

2 Likes

Jb weld is your best shot

thanks, is JB weld not conductive?
the goal is to insulate + from -

1 Like

I have no clue, summoning @b264

3 Likes

Yes. It can be conductive.

1 Like

Liquid electrical tape and then resin just to be safe would be what I would do.

Be extremely careful with jbweld. Some variants contain actual metal powder in them (example:steelweld)
Epoxies are non conductive unless you specifically buy one that is used to be conductive (example: thermosetting epoxy for PC repairs)

1 Like

Thanks @yelnats8j @Flasher!

I’d never heard of liquid electrical tape, going for some of that then cast some resin in there.