How to make an XT90 Loop Key

Hot and neutral are concepts based on how the wiring is done. In most automobiles negative is neutral since it’s the common path (usually the frame) for the circuits. Electrons actually flow from negative to positive.

4 Likes

This diagram is all I needed :ok_hand:

Maybe you should add one to the first post @b264

2 Likes

@moon Done :ballot_box_with_check:

Thanks @iespobolamas, I edited your image slightly and added it to the top post

2 Likes

Thanks I felt like you taught us how to solder it all but not how to wire it thanks

1 Like

Awesome!

is there a reason some people use Anti Spark devices instead of a loop key? this seems way simpler and less likely to fail

Imo people chase the dream of perfectly watertight cases. Having a foolproof antispark with push to start inside the enclosure is a step closer to reaching that goal

2 Likes

thanks, so there’s no functional difference in what they do?
I’ll stick with a loop key and some hot glue :)!

As to differences, @b264 aka “the breaker of antisparks” (yup I rebaptised you) would have more info as to why he keeps trying to have one that works :joy:

2 Likes

TL;DR there aren’t really any “good” options for that yet. Once there are, loopkey will be cheaper. Until then, loopkey is better and cheaper.

1 Like

thanks Brian

I know “traditional” switches are not used because of the spark. But do 90a rated toggle switches with a bleed resistor exist?

Pretty much a look key, but instead of ripping it out, its like a traditional switch. (More noob friendly i guess)

the only one I have found is here. It doesn’t look incredibly robust and its still 30 bucks shipped, so I don’t see an advantage over existing AS switches.

1 Like

Check out @deckoz’s as150 anti spark switch!

3 Likes

Trying to make a more compact loopkey,
any thoughts re encasing the bare joints in epoxy resin,
does it conduct at all once fully cured? or maybe just fill it all with hot glue?

2 Likes

Jb weld is your best shot

thanks, is JB weld not conductive?
the goal is to insulate + from -

1 Like

I have no clue, summoning @b264

3 Likes

Yes. It can be conductive.

1 Like

Liquid electrical tape and then resin just to be safe would be what I would do.

Be extremely careful with jbweld. Some variants contain actual metal powder in them (example:steelweld)
Epoxies are non conductive unless you specifically buy one that is used to be conductive (example: thermosetting epoxy for PC repairs)

1 Like