How should I CF skin a Prototipo?

Then it wouldn’t be a secret lol

1 Like

Cool. Will try that on my next attempt.

1 Like

Yep worth trying, I will definitely buy bar top epoxy next time as well but it is more expensive.

1 Like

Better epoxy is the answer to that.

5 Likes

I believe most epoxies can be thinned with alcohol and will not effect the final composition or strength. The thinner epoxy will become funnier, but may become a bit more viscous to free trapped air

I’ve never had issues with removing with heat. Careful when purchasing bar top, I’ve used with great results but cure time is usually 24 hrs

4 Likes

Just gonna leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdbN-bRaSo

I use vacuum impregnation. Apply the epoxy and carbon fiber to the deck. Add a layer of peel ply and a breather layer. Put it in a vacuum bag like one of roarockit.com’s tap kits, suck out the air and let it cure. This method will remove all of the bubbles, but not only that. It will reduce the amount of epoxy used. Epoxy is expensive and heavy. You can reduce cost while making the carbon layer as light as possible. I use West Systems 105 epoxy with 207 clear hardener. It’s the industry standard and works like a champ :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

One more thing to try to get fewer bubbles in your fill and gloss layers is to apply it in several very thin layers. It’s hard for bubbles to get stuck in thin layers. If you apply thick, gloppy layers the bubbles will get stuck all over. Sanding in between layers is optional but it will help make a flawless finish. I also use a lint roller to prep the deck. Dust can cause bubbles.

8 Likes

One more thing. Instead of using a heat gun, I cure my epoxy projects next to a radiant heater. It works better and will cut your curing time in half. I could talk epoxy all day.

5 Likes

Just an update for everyone, I’m just gunna “send it” lol

Might need to save my first skinning for another deck I don’t care as much about.

3 Likes

Good idea!

I attempted on my enclosure. Not a good thing to do my “first try” on.

@Sender will treat it good. He uses some of the best epoxy out there, and his skills are super clean

5 Likes