How eskate has changed me (more of a esk8 journey)

Hi all! My name is Aleks, I’ve been eskating since I was 16.

First year of esk8:

I saw a lot of videos about the boosted board and evolve. But being a 16year old I didn’t have that kinda money to throw at a completely unknown direction. So as any logical person I went diy. I asked my dad for $200 and money from my part time job at the barn to build my first death trap. I don’t have the picture anymore, but here are the specs.

50a rc plane esc
6s 5000mah turnergy lipo
A deck my friend had laying around
My “holy grail” mini remote
6345 motor (it’s a little fuzzy)

This build was extremely dangerous now that I think about it, it had no brakes, no reverse. But holy crap was it fun, i was hooked on that first ride.

Second year of esk8:

I’ve gotten a 6s rc car esc and I finally got breaks! I ditched the Tupperware box and bent some sheet aluminum for the enclosure, it looks like absolutely crap lol.

Here’s the only surviving picture :joy:

My third year of esk8:

I got a VESC this year! It made such a difference! And I was really tired of taking the lipos out for charging since I made a balance charging port out of a VGA port. It was more convenient but now that I think about it it’s really dangerous.

Forth year of esk8:

Now this is the year u moved to china for college, everything from here on happened so so fast.

First, I bought a dual drive board with a lingyi esc for 800yuan (~$120at the time)

It was not a good board my any means but man was it dirt cheap!

Annnnnnnddddddd it ended up looking like this after a few months

Today😏

I have one, two, three… Five boards (one’s still in progress)

And here they are

AWD haero bro

6384 flipsky
Flipsky v6 dual
12s 10p tesla
Trampa wand (almost killed me)
Etoxx hubs
Cheap ass Matrix pro Clone
Cheap ass bindings

Bouncy castle

Cheap ass 6374
Ant innovation v6
12s12ah lipo
Trusty mini remote

Big Carbon

Dxw 6368
Focbox unity
12s3p 40t
Custom hubs
Modded mini remote

[Redacted]

Hobbywing
[Redacted]
[Redacted]
Hobbywing

Boosted mini hobbywing (in progress)

12s3p tesla
Hobbywing esc
5255 motors

With making 3d models to use on my esk8 I’ve found love for making 3d models. Now I’m considering to study industrial design instead of automation (which I’ve grown to hate). I found that I can’t do math for 5 minutes straight but i can do cad for a day straight without eating or drinking.

Most importantly, these five boards in a span of 6 months has ran me completely dry. Gotta find a way to make some of that moolah to feed my addiction lol.

43 Likes

Thanks for sharing your journey! I always find posts like these interesting.

8 Likes

Great read. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Oh wow the addiction really got you.

1 Like

Awesome story.

I love how little hobbies like this can grow so so much.

Thanks for sharing.

Ikr😂 i got a board for every situation lol

1 Like

@ShutterShock @zZoKo (fafo) found another one for the club.

Lingyi esc best esc ever. lingyi esc better than vesc. :wink:

4 Likes

Lingyi is life.

It even has an automatic weight reduction mode.

It uses the cables so it can remove material to save on weight.

source reddit

6 Likes

I’m very curious about the redacted board, have you got sneaky prototypes or it’s too janky to admit what it is or is there something else going on. Cool set of boards!

2 Likes

Lol hey now we can at least appreciate the progress though. Started with lingyi, then built from there!

2 Likes

It’s redacted for a reason😁 let’s not dig too deep into it😏

2 Likes

Damn u got the potted lingyi? That’s some high quality stuff, I’d trade my unity for it for sure😂

1 Like

1 Like

starting with lingygi is needed for character development
:fire::battery::gun:

3 Likes

It’s the first gun found in an FPS.

2 Likes

Totally not bagging on it, or lingyi esc. Lingyi esc best esc ever. I have one right now, it’s transitioning into a focbox but its lingyis decision.

1 Like

Nah lingyi is too safe, gotta use a RC plane esc😏

i just tape the positive and negative wire straight to the battery for instant motor torque

It’s totally fine for a small transport board, but Hobbywing instead.

2 Likes

That’s what I have it on. Lil bustin spliff. I honestly don’t have any real complaints against those ESC. I just laugh way to hard when I read lingyi. :joy:

1 Like