Hilarious - Set Charging Port FirešŸ”„ (Noob Seeking Advice)

Dont feel stupid! I once tried to straighten the pin on my charging port with a thin metal screwdriver :woozy_face:

13 Likes

Probably right. I am a giant dude though, the main selling point on this deck was the weight limit. This deck has a spot for running an antenna that can be hidden on top of the back truck (drop thru truck) and under a cover for good reception.

1 Like

I took the board out to a safe location, and it ostensibly still works.
I am seriously wondering what is the likelihood of a BMS issue or internal pack issue resulting from this. $500 for a new battery sucks hardcore, but a future failure could be more costly. Is it foolish to continue using this one?

Its probably fine, but if you wanna make sure then there is no way around opening the pack up and checking for yourself.

2 Likes

I would not open up the pack, chances are very high you can be causing more problems then youā€™re solving.

Fuse the new charge port

Ride it and enjoy :metal:

4 Likes

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

1 Like

I agree, battery work is non-trivial and I donā€™t have the skills.

So the board still has 97% battery (i.e. ~30mi of range with the 40t 100mm). I guess I can just cover up the charge port connector and the hole in the deck and get a couple more rides in?

1. Any advice on how to find a suitable charge port from a 3rd party site? Would any charge port that fits the deck and my charger work? The charger I use is a 50.4v 5a, would that exceed some of these generic ports? Iā€™d rather not wait multiple weeks to get a charge port from the original seller.

2. If I canā€™t get a charge port, is there some kind of interim charging solution I could implement with parts that ship fast within the US? Maybe theres some kind of hobby charger I could use as a kludge for charging the battery directly via the wires (add a fuse first), or by adding a temorary connector. I know someone with soldering equipment and electronics experience who could assist me, and we could also probably get a connector kit and add a connector. The connector thatā€™s already on the battery cable atm looks like one of these male JST connectors..

what is it? It looks like a 2.5mm x 5.5mm barrel connector. If it is, you can get them here:
Amazon.com: Lsgoodcare 10Pack 5.5 x 2.5 MM 8-10A DC Power Jack Socket Threaded Female Mount Connector Adapter with Dustproof Plug: Home Audio & Theater

Itā€™s definitely one of these generic barrel ports. Are the dimensions indicating 5.5mm inner diameter of the shaft and 2.5mm pin diameter respectively (AKA ID/OD of the male end) They seem to come in either 5.5mm x 2.5mm or 5.5mm x 2.1mm. I might just order both. ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

That is correct, its barrel and pin dimensions for the male connector they are referencing. And yeah, theyā€™re cheap enough to get both. Iā€™ve been using these with 4 to 8 amp chargers for a while. I wouldnā€™t put a full 10 amps through them. Iā€™ve done it, but i donā€™t recommend it.

1 Like

I was thinking of adding a Fuse holder but the best one I could find said it was only rated for 32V DC Operating Voltage. It must be a limit on the fuses because the 14awg wire isnt the constraint. Iā€™ll have to do more research on fuse setup.

I feel like most chargers and stuff are 5.5 x 2.1

The 2.5 is the oddball one. Although in theory it should have higher current handling capabilities and be ā€œbetterā€. But is it still better if it means you need to solder a new connector on your charger? :thinking:

2 Likes

The fuses voltage rating doesnā€™t matter too much, itā€™s still gonna blow at 10A, 30v or 50v. If you go even higher, it might ark and it might blow the whole fuse up istead of just the small wire, but thatā€™s about it. I wouldnā€™t recommend using a 30v fuse on 200v though, so thereā€™s a spectrum on what you can do if you get what Iā€™m saying.

1 Like

Final supplies for the fix should arrive tomorrow. Thanks a ton for all the advice and help.

Another issue Iā€™m facing is the right rear motor is intermittently twitching. This was not happening after my initial parking lot smoke test, so Iā€™m going to guess I knocked one of the motor connectors on Wednesday when I put everything back together. Gonna rip the grip tape off once again and check it out later tonight. Any pointers on other things I might wanna check?

Couldnā€™t get the right rear motor to spin properly, connections are all fine except the charge port, not sure what else to check. I wonder if maybe thereā€™s damage to the wiring or VESC after all.

The other thing Iā€™m wondering is whether itā€™s normal for the XT60 on my battery to spark when I hook it back up.

Yes, unless youā€™re using an antispark connector like an XT90S

Swap the motors on the ESC and see if it changes which side doesnā€™t work.

Make sure you redo the motor detection.

Thanks, good to know.

Great idea, Iā€™ll give that a shot.

Iā€™m not making fun of you dude but this had me rollin!! Lol