Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive

The Avio MK2 Gear Drive

Introducing the new Avio MK2 Gear Drive, featuring Herringbone gears! We have redesigned the entire drive and improved it based on feedback from the original MK1 Gear Drive.

Reviews from the community so far:

Pricing Table:

• Prices listed below includes PayPal Charges and excludes Shipping. For shipping charges, refer to the table below.
Package: Item/s Est. Shipping Weight (KG) Price (NTD) Price (USD)
A 2WD MK2 Avio Drive 1.76 $13,300 $439
B 2WD MK2 Avio Drive + Kahua Trucks 3.74 $17,200 A + $129
C 2WD MK2 Avio Drive + Bergmeister Wheels 3.85 $17,500 A + $139
D 2WD MK2 Avio Drive + Kahua Trucks + Bergmeister Wheels 5.83 $21,500 A + $271
Add-Ons: Item/s Est. Shipping Weight (KG) Price (NTD) Price (USD)
1 2x Hybrid Adapter 0.20 $1,800 $59
2 2x 15T Pinions 0.10 $1,600 $54
3 2x Hybrid Adapter + 2x 15T Pinions 0.30 $3,000 $99
4a 2x 170kv 6374 Sensored Motors w/ vibration proof sensor adapter 1.90 $5,920 $198
4b 2x 190kv 6374 Sensored Motors w/ vibration proof sensor adapter 1.90 $5,920 $198
5 Optional: Opt for our free motor shaft chopping service with purchase of motors. n/a n/a n/a

Pictures:

Estimated Shipping Cost:

• Shipping costs listed are in USD.
  • Kindly use the Est. Shipping Weight (KG) listed in the Pricing Table above to estimate what shipping to your country will be.
  • Bundling / combined shipping options are available. PM @avx if you’d like to arrange this. Do note that bundled shipping can be significantly cheaper. (e.g. A bundle of 5 Package A’s shipped to USA will cost $106 as opposed to $195 when shipped individually.)
Shipping Weight (KG) USA UK / Europe Australia Asia
0 to 0.5 $26 $26 $22 $16
0.5 to 2 $39 $39 $33 $24
2 to 4 $53 $53 $50 $35
4 to 6 $70 $70 $66 $44
6 to 10 $106 $106 $99 $63
More than 10 PM to enquire PM to enquire PM to enquire PM to enquire

How to purchase?:

• Simply place an order for a set by filling out the order form here and shoot me a PM for us to send you an invoice!

Improvements:

• Herringbone Gears - Experience just how quiet these are. There’s a video below depicting the difference in sound between straight-cut gears and herringbone gears.

• 30% Smaller - The entire gear drive has been shrunk by approximately 30%! It now fits in your jeans pocket, if you want to use it as a really dope wallet.

• 40% Lighter - Severe weight reductions compared to the MK1. (MK2 @ 441g) vs (MK1 @ 745g)

• 30% More Ground Clearance - Ground clearance has been improved from 24mm to 32mm. Yes, we’ve seen the scratches on the MK1 when off-roading and we were not happy about it.

• Swappable Gear Ratios - We’ve been getting comments from speed demons that like to go FAST. We’ve yielded. The MK2 will now feature a 13:43 (1:3.31)ratio with swappable gear pinions in the future such as 12:43, 14:43 and 15:43 (now available). Pinions can be easily swapped by simply pulling the gear out by hand and plopping a new pinion in. NO more green loctite or any of that set-screw crap, these drives are self aligning and do not require anything other than a secured keyway on the motor shaft.

• Carbon Steel pinions on POM Wheel Gears - We changed out the Aluminium Pinions with S45C Carbon Steel coated with Black Oxide, while keeping our white POM Wheel Gears! Far superior strength pinions that last will last you a lifetime!

• Designed to fit both AT and Urethane wheels! - With the new redesigned gear drive, we can adapt it onto PU wheels! A hybrid adapter for both original ABEC and Kegel wheel cores can be bought as an add-on!

What’s New?

Uploading: Screenshot_20200303_104549.jpg…

MK2 vs MK1 Size Comparison:

What’s Included?

Material Component Colour Qty
AL6061-T6 Motor Mount Black 2
AL6061-T6 Cover Black 2
AL5052 Sealing Plate Black 2
S45C-Black Oxide Herringbone Pinion 13T Black 2
POM Herringbone Wheel Gear 43T White 2
POM Wheel Adapter Black 2
Nitrile Rubber V-Ring Black 2
SUS304 M3x8mm Screw Silver 4
SUS304 M3x10mm Screw Silver 4
SUS304 M3x25mm Screw Silver 4
12.9 Grade Steel M5x25mm Screw Black 6
12.9 Grade Steel M8x25mm Set Screw Black 2
12.9 Grade Steel M8x30mm Set Screw Black 4
- 6705zz Bearing - 2
PLA 3-DP Squaring Jig - 1

Designed for the Kahua Trucks:

• The Kahua truck is made for speed on any terrain! It is the combination of a forged and precision milled hanger with super strong 12mm diameter / 8mm stepped axles and a 50-degree baseplate.
  • 340mm total truck width with axles made of extremely strong carbon steel.
  • Tighten the 92A barrel bushings and your board will be stable for gnarly speed fun, loosen them and you can enjoy an intense carving session.

Designed for the Bergmeister Wheels:

• Precision CNC milled three-spoke hubs in 5 different colors to choose from. 150mm wheel diameter and 45mm width. Fits all standard longboard trucks with 8mm axles.
  • The Bergmeister All-terrain tire is designed with a multi-arc profile, which means that the thread profile varies across the full tire profile. This design allows for better steering and providing substantially more traction than normal shaped tires of same diameter.

Latest Video Update!

Progress:

• We’re now in the Quality Control phase!
  • You can now reserve a set here!

Estimated timeline:

• Early Nov to Mid-Nov: Settle logistics/ Negotiate with vendors
  • Mid Nov to Mid Dec: Manufacturing + Quality Control
  • Mid Dec - Mid Jan: Delivery on-route!
  • Mid Jan: MK2 Drives In-Stock!

FAQ:

Q: Are there herringbone gears for those who have the MK1 who don’t want to swap to the MK2?
A: Yes. We currently have very limited stock of Alu-Alu and Alu-POM Herringbone gears. These will be a one-off and we will not be producing anymore of these gears for the MK1. As of year 2020, the herringbone MK1 gears have been sold out.

Q: Can the MK1 or MK2 be adapted onto caliber trucks or any other trucks?
A: Sorry, no. These are designed solely for the amazing Kahua Trucks. Get them, you won’t regret it.

Q: What wheel adapters does the MK2 Gear Drive come with?
A: It comes with the Bergmeister Wheel Adapter and will be sold as a set with the MK2 Gear Drive. Also you can opt to get a hybrid wheel adapter for kegel and abec-styled PU wheels!

Q: Are there any other gear options?
A: We offer 2 different pinions - 13T and 15T. That means you can opt for either or both ratios of 13:43 (1:3.31) or 15:43 (1:2.87)

Q: How do I get my hands on one?
A: Fill this form up and we will send you an invoice for one!

Q: Is @BillGordon a poop?
A: Yes. :smiley:

Supporting 3D-Printed Files

Assembly Video

Assembly Animation

WATCH THE ASSEMBLY VIDEO FOR INSTRUCTIONS. THIS ANIMATION IS JUST TO GIVE YOU A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW IT ALL FITS.

33 Likes

Great to see your Avio stuff over here, Jeff!

I mean… are you trying to get all my business or what?

QUIET GEAR DRIVES? YES PLEASE.

Also, the custom build options these days are ridiculous.

It may be time to sit down and rebuild the board builder i had in 2016.

4 Likes

Also these trucks are monsters. I’m running those now on my witchblade with haggy belt drive mounts and bergmeisters. They feel great and probably don’t bend.

3 Likes

The trucks are niiiice. I wish I had ordered 2 sets iso 1 tb218 :smiley:

(: I’m taking my time to transfer years of content over. Being lazy~

Yeap! That’s the plan :smiley:

This isn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed, they are the beefiest,strongiest,thickiest RKP trucks I’ve ever came across.

2 Likes

Too late. Now i just want these on all my gear drive builds that ever happen.

3 Likes

Niiiice! Shipping options to europe?

Heyo! Shipping to Europe/US/UK is usually around 30ish USD.

So, here we go. The Avio AT Gear Drive Mk2, Stealth Edition, featuring, you guessed it, HERRINGBONE GEARS!. :slight_smile:

If you don’t want to read the rest of this post, TLDR: they rock. they are so much quieter, easier to assemble, with fewer parts needed. (Read on for more.) Oh, and the gear ratio has been updated to 13:51 i.e. (3.92:1)

First, let’s show some pictures. These are taken in a rush, so don’t judge me, i was really excited to put the whole thing together.

Quieter!

If you can see from the pics, 2 different spur materials were tested, the traditional POM and ALU 7075. People were worried of the strength of POM, so we decided to go for a beefier option. Now, i know what you’re thinking, it’s gonna be LOUD AF. -> Far from it. It’s MUCH quieter than my spur gear design, with a different sound pitch compared to the POM herringbone gears, but probably the same sound level (dB) between the 2. I’ve yet to measure this and will get back with some quantitative numbers when i’m done with testing.

Easier to assemble!

Assembly is also made easier. Herringbone gears are inherently self aligning - that means no more Loctite 638 to attach the pinion to the spur! easily swap them out (literally slide the pinion out from the shaft) for different pinions to change the gear ratios quickly! (when we produce them!)

Fewer parts!

Well, you don’t need loctite 638 anymore, plus, the bearing has been changed to a thinner bearing that better adapts onto the Kahua trucks. That means you don’t need 2 bearings anymore, a single bearing on the inner part of the truck is all that is required!

Lighter!

The gears have also been slightly redesigned to be lighter (The POM version at least) with cutouts, but not affecting strength of the gear.

Stronger!

Aluminium Spur gears provide an increase in strength while keeping it lighter than the previous design!

Quieter!!

Did I mention how much quieter it is? I’ll upload videos soon, but from initial testing, it’s definitely something to be excited about. :smiley:

What now?

It’s not for sale yet and I’ll let you guys know when it will be. In the mean time, you can PM me to indicate your interest (:

39 Likes

Looks great

3 Likes

So sexy!

Can we upgrade the OG drives, or would we need whole new drives?

1 Like

Yes

:star_struck:

1 Like

I saw that you cold hearted tease! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahahahahaha GOT EEM

2 Likes

So glad to see someone bringing herringbone gears to market. Well done! Cant wait to see (and hear) how they perform!

Sweet, required dress code is herringbone suit?

11 Likes

These look beautiful!
Any plans to make them fit caliber style hangers?

:star_struck::star_struck: Definitely interested! if there are some options for gear ratio in future

Not in the pipeline. You could switch to Kahua hangers! You might like them more (:

4 Likes