Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive

The trucks are niiiice. I wish I had ordered 2 sets iso 1 tb218 :smiley:

(: I’m taking my time to transfer years of content over. Being lazy~

Yeap! That’s the plan :smiley:

This isn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed, they are the beefiest,strongiest,thickiest RKP trucks I’ve ever came across.

2 Likes

Too late. Now i just want these on all my gear drive builds that ever happen.

3 Likes

Niiiice! Shipping options to europe?

Heyo! Shipping to Europe/US/UK is usually around 30ish USD.

So, here we go. The Avio AT Gear Drive Mk2, Stealth Edition, featuring, you guessed it, HERRINGBONE GEARS!. :slight_smile:

If you don’t want to read the rest of this post, TLDR: they rock. they are so much quieter, easier to assemble, with fewer parts needed. (Read on for more.) Oh, and the gear ratio has been updated to 13:51 i.e. (3.92:1)

First, let’s show some pictures. These are taken in a rush, so don’t judge me, i was really excited to put the whole thing together.

Quieter!

If you can see from the pics, 2 different spur materials were tested, the traditional POM and ALU 7075. People were worried of the strength of POM, so we decided to go for a beefier option. Now, i know what you’re thinking, it’s gonna be LOUD AF. -> Far from it. It’s MUCH quieter than my spur gear design, with a different sound pitch compared to the POM herringbone gears, but probably the same sound level (dB) between the 2. I’ve yet to measure this and will get back with some quantitative numbers when i’m done with testing.

Easier to assemble!

Assembly is also made easier. Herringbone gears are inherently self aligning - that means no more Loctite 638 to attach the pinion to the spur! easily swap them out (literally slide the pinion out from the shaft) for different pinions to change the gear ratios quickly! (when we produce them!)

Fewer parts!

Well, you don’t need loctite 638 anymore, plus, the bearing has been changed to a thinner bearing that better adapts onto the Kahua trucks. That means you don’t need 2 bearings anymore, a single bearing on the inner part of the truck is all that is required!

Lighter!

The gears have also been slightly redesigned to be lighter (The POM version at least) with cutouts, but not affecting strength of the gear.

Stronger!

Aluminium Spur gears provide an increase in strength while keeping it lighter than the previous design!

Quieter!!

Did I mention how much quieter it is? I’ll upload videos soon, but from initial testing, it’s definitely something to be excited about. :smiley:

What now?

It’s not for sale yet and I’ll let you guys know when it will be. In the mean time, you can PM me to indicate your interest (:

39 Likes

Looks great

3 Likes

So sexy!

Can we upgrade the OG drives, or would we need whole new drives?

1 Like

Yes

:star_struck:

1 Like

I saw that you cold hearted tease! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahahahahaha GOT EEM

2 Likes

So glad to see someone bringing herringbone gears to market. Well done! Cant wait to see (and hear) how they perform!

Sweet, required dress code is herringbone suit?

11 Likes

These look beautiful!
Any plans to make them fit caliber style hangers?

:star_struck::star_struck: Definitely interested! if there are some options for gear ratio in future

Not in the pipeline. You could switch to Kahua hangers! You might like them more (:

4 Likes

When you get yours, promise me you’ll take a pic of you wearing that and riding the drive. :smiley:

3 Likes

Definitely! The plan from the start was to make them backwards compatible :D.

7 Likes

My Harris tweed? I’m never out of it! :100:

1 Like

Any plans to make these for different trucks?