Helmet advice after an off.

Just took a couple of spills at about 20 mph on gravel. No lasting damage but I did hit the back of my helmet pretty hard.

Would it be advisable to get a new helmet? Currently using a pro-tec skate helmet.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Depends on the helmets condition imo

If it had any cracks or dents I would get a new one I guess

3 Likes

If you are not sure if to get a new one, you need a new one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

No cracks or dents. They are made of pretty tough stuff. I’m more worried about the condition of the foam tbh. Not sure how to tell if that is too damaged tbh.

That’s what I’m thinking. I wanted a full face a while ago so might go with that.

2 Likes

Just go for it. You cant go wrong. Even if you think the old one if fine. You will always have doubts…

1 Like

Personally, if I take a spill in a helmet, I run this checklist to see if I need a new one:

1. Any visible damage that isn’t a surface scratch?

2. Any wiggle room in that area of the helmet if I press on it?

3. Does the foam on the inside move or compress at all around the impact spot (compared to a known solid part of the helmet)?

4. Are the 3 seconds before the crash and the limp home fuzzy or hard to remember AT ALL?

5. Did this helmet make me look fat?

6. Do I have a cooler helmet I’ve wanted to try out?

If I answer no to all of the above, I will reuse it.

10 Likes

The answer to this question, for me, is unfortunately always “yes” :joy:

5 Likes

The bell qualifier looks super nice and for a good price
They have it in a bunch of colours and sizes
I’m receivein mine tomorrow and can give a better review

I love my demon podium if you like open face. Solid price point as well.

2 Likes

In general helmets are designed to be one and done. It sucks, but just be glad it’s not a $700 motorcycle helmet…or your skull.

3 Likes