GROUP BUY. two way throttle (more for bikes but goes with vesc)

so 17 bucks each to me.
priority flat rate envelops im calling 8 bucks.
so 25$ each

paypal me at humminashadeeba@gmail.com friends and fam.
WRITE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS ON THE PAYPAL TRANSACTION

and das it.

im keeping 5 so get them while i have the other 5

but maybe they will sell to individuals, or maybe they will sell me another ten again, dont know yet, will know tomorrow! dont want to even ask till its in the mail to me

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x

(original thread begining:)

i got a vesc6 and want to hook up a hand-twist throttle that uses regen. Ive found a two-direction throttle manufacturer and they’re asking what details and plugs it will need but i dont know.

here’s the throttle:

the vesc6:
https://trampaboards.com/vesc-6-mkiv-in-cnc-t6-silicone-sealed-aluminium-box-with-genuine-xt90-connectors--vedder-electronic-speed-controller-trampa-special-p-27536.html

I heard from lunacycles that if the throttle had 6 wires, 3 could go to the PPM and work as throttle and 3 could go to the ACD1 input and work as the regen brake.

what you think? what should i tell them

(this type of throttle is very rare it seems and people dont bother doing regen in the bike world. Surprising as we’re all doing regen braking on boards with the vesc)

@shaman
@JohnnyMeduse
@Blasto
@Deodand

6 Likes

So the product page has no information on what the output signals are or even a wiring diagram. I would definitely need more info from the manufacturer on some basic electrical details for this thing.

It simply could house two separate hall effect based analog outputs. If so, then this would just kinda be like 2 twist throttles in one and would use 2 ADC channels. However, I can’t confirm anything unless more details are provided.

Another possibility is that the neutral position of the throttle outputs a reference voltage somewhere in between ground and Vcc. Twisting up causes the output voltage to rise and twisting down causes it the drop or vise versa. Then the VESC would have to be configured to handle this.

The other way to find out is to simply order a sample then analyze the outputs with a multimeter or oscilloscope. An analog signal with vary directly with how much you’re twisting it. PPM will appear as a kind of pulse waveform and you’ll need an oscilloscope to look at it.

6 Likes

I know I’m not a wizzard (just a lowly necromancer) but I have an ADC throttle working with a FSESC and I set it up for regen.

or… it could be one single hall sensor/pot and the spring action is set to return to the middle of the throw.

in this case. you would set it up the same way I set the scooter up. ADC throttle, current with brake, set the center (or “coast”) somewhere in the middle and it will brake when the throttle is in the resting position. In this case, you’ll need to roll the throttle a little to release the brake and start kicking along. more throttle engages the motor. roll back to that point to start braking, full brake when throttle is released completely.

thinking about it now, seems to me that two hall sensors/pots will be over complicated. unless you want mega-throw.

4 Likes

thanks for your help @shaman ill see what more info i can get and tell them what you say

thanks @iamasalmon what throttle is that!? or maybe its just a standard throttle and i can set them all up as you describe. i do like the idea of having the throttle go to neutral instead of braking if i release it though

1 Like

pretty much.
It’s the throttle that came on the scooter carcass I resurrected. I do believe it’s nothing fancy, any ebike pot throttle should work the same, I think…

1 Like

I mean, someone could always just make an ESC with compatible inputs…

How I handled regen on my scooter was using a brake switch that inverted the throttle (throttle becomes a variable brake/reverse).

Sounds like they might be able to configure it for your needs, what details did they ask for?

Easiest would be what shaman described where it’s at a halfway voltage and twisting it either way pulls it to either rail. For convenience, it would helpful if it can run off 3.3V and the output is buffered.

2 Likes

@shaman hit the head on the nail perfectly :ok_hand:

Like shaman mentioned, If I would guess its a simple potentiometer thats just in the middle position (resistance wise) in “neutral”. Probably the cheapest.

@hummieee if these are real, sign me up for 10. Been looking all over.

3 Likes

they say its only three wires. what plug should i get on them and will it be simple to program the vesc?
@shaman
@Gamer43 they just ask what plugs i want and if i want any wiring definitions.

seems you cant play youtube in china, they tell me.

3 Likes

What signal is it sending?
Are there electronics in the throttle beyond a hall sensor?

2 Likes

I send 3.3 to hall sensor in my throttles, and most work.

But I’m new to this as well. I do Regen. But with reverse. Although I don’t want reverse

2 Likes

If you want plug-in compatibly with the VESC then you’ll want the the connector to be JST PH 2.0 7-pin male with the gnd, Vcc, and output wires of the throttle in the correct position to line up with female connector of the controller. The output should line up with one of the ADC inputs, Vcc to 3.3V, and gnd to gnd. Double check with the controller you have in mind for the proper connector and pinout.

1 Like

Make sure you send in a cropped image of the ADC connection on the esc with the pins clearly marked and the correct jst pitch and size written. They’ll be using that image for reference rather than going through your discussion with them.

They’ll refer themselves to it even if the discussion changes direction.

1 Like

They dont say much but it’s just three wires. Hall sensor.
I told them the jst ph 2.0. I sent a pic of the vesc and it’s inputs.

Is three wire going to be a problem?

Hoping I can just plug it in and calibrate the throttle. Hope that easy

Wish I could tell u more. It’s not even in their catalog. They say it’s “custom”. Should I ask for 7 pin @shaman? (Or any of you that know)

1 Like

I bet just the mechanism is “custom”. The throttle signal probably works the same as every other ebike throttle. This is China we’re talking about. Almost certainly just set with the spring return in the middle of the throw, just like our esk8 throttles.

The trick will be to plug it in to the right pins on the esc and proper setup in the VescTool. Like kevingrahel says, use 3.3v, some throttles have issues with 5v. The wires are probably Pos, Neg, Signal. Pos goes to 3.3v, neg goes to neg pin, signal goes to ADC pin. Instead of pulse with modulation, the signal is a variable voltage that indicates throttle position.

1 Like

This is all sounding like its a hall effect twist throttle with an analog output. The VESC input wizard can deal with that easy. Just make sure it’s hooked up correctly.

1 Like

@hummieee I would also love to purchase one of these. Group buy?

1 Like

Group buy seems good. I’m ordering 4 myself. I know others want some too. Let me confirm what it even is though then see who is interested

So to confirm what I should be thinking and asking them for tonight before I order:

3 wires are fine but do they all go in one plug and what order?

And I want it 3.3 volts not 5.

Anything else?

I told them 1000mm wires.

1 Like

Three wires into one JST PH 2.0mm 7pin connector. Order doesnt really matter because the PH connectors are really easy to re-arrange the pins.

That sounds like a good length.

If these come out to be $20ish shipped, then I want two lol.

I’m not sure about this.

on the FSESC you need to connect to the pins on different connectors. So I just crimped the individual JST female and heat shrank the individual wires to push into the pins on the esc. then hot glued them in place. If @shaman or someone can identify the exact pins that need to be connected, that would be awesome.Here is is for the flipshite, the pins had to go to different connector locations

1 Like

I’ll do a group buy with no charge beyond my costs if u can figure the details out related to the wires/pins/plugs/whatever to go into a vesc

3 Likes