GetToGnomy - my RKP board

I have the @PropulsionBoards Demon 2.0 and I love it.
I did buy the bits to convert it from DKP to RKP but I find myself converting it back and forth as I get bored of one or the other.
So building a second board so I can have one DKP board with pneumies and one RKP board with TB110 thanes.
Pretty much the same stats as my existing board but it will be nice to be able to pick one to ride rather than taking things apart all the time.
It’s been sitting around for a bit but I’ve finally collected the final parts and getting something done.

Parts:

Landyachtz Switchblade 40 Deck (Suggest a 42" or 44" deck and enclosure for me)
Enclosure from @eBoosted
TB110 wheels off the Demon.
6x8 12s4p p42a battery pack by @A13XR3
6374 190KV motors and sprockets from @PropulsionBoards (they are Flipskys I think).
@Boardnamics 220mm hangers & 63mm motor mounts
@Boardnamics 40T kegel pulleys
Paris 43 degree baseplates
@RipTideSports 93a Krank barrel bushings
Stormcore 60D+ ESC
@DerelictRobot Freeskate remote/receiver
L1019, XLR and Anderson connectors from Grin Technologies (ebikes.ca)
Design by @Kai printed on fabric by Spoonflower

10 Likes

What it will look like skinned/fritted:

A guy on this board volunteered to do the skinning for me. Now I kinda want to get this thing together rather than send the deck off so I left the guy hanging which I feel kinda bad about after he was so kind. I’ll see once I’ve had a chance to finish this and ride it if he’s still into it or if I should do it myself.

Friendly advice. Do the skinning before assembly. It is really a much easier job done that way. Anyhow you will have to remove trucks before doing it…

2 Likes

Makes sense but the skinning/fritting is gonna happen in the longer term. I wanna finish this thing and ride it in the near term so the skinning will have to happen a little later.
Taking the trucks and enclosure off only takes a few minutes so it ain’t no thing really.

If I do the skinning myself there’s gonna be a bunch of studying and collecting of the necessary stuff before I can get started.

That’s what DIY is about right? I strongly encourage you to do it. Skinning is fuckin easy.

4 Likes

I was wondering when this would pop up! I second or maybe third the just do it talk. White base coat(especially with these colors), clear, fabric, clear. Hardest parts laying it even. Personally, with this design, I’d tape off the orange and the logo and do fine frit just on the blue.
As for materials, you’ll need epoxy, the clearer the better. I use system three silvertip. And you’ll need the fabric, duh. White pigment, titanium dioxide works wonders. And frit. I prefer fine, and absolutely love the iridescent clear stuff. It shines real nice in the sun.

1 Like

oooookay lol it’s easy in theory

Doing it well, cleaning up, having the materials, and knowing what make it hard

OP, I always like switchblade builds, such nice angles

2 Likes

Nah, its easy. If @PedroMcJimenez can do it, anyone can. It’s not a dark art.

2 Likes

Again sure, if you have the place to do it, it’s not as easy as putting on griptape though

I can’t do this in my closed apartment very easily

Practicing on scrap wood is something I highly recommend. Buy a pack of bandanas and a 2x4 to chop up.

4 Likes

I skinned my first decks in my loungeroom :man_shrugging:

Maybe I’m not as crazy as youuuu AL

What is a loungeroom

1 Like

I do it inside on cardboard every time. Too much debris in the air outside. Fuckin bugs landing on my work and whatnot.

1 Like

Living room? The place where cunts normally watch tv

3 Likes

Ah I see. Mrs would kill me if I got epoxy and glass fiber somewhere in there

Anyways, we digress. Ofc it is possible, I want to try it someday, GL to OP, looking forwards to seeing it. Trying out on 2x4’s sounds like a good idea

1 Like

I told you you would regret this

7 Likes

Tried it a couple years back
Got a drop of epoxy on my floor and now I’m never allowed to do it again.
I did spray paint though and epoxy + glass grit on top

1 Like

I get it on the floor all the time. In our room. My girl does not love that. But, frit can be vacuumed up, and for epoxy: when wet, mop with vinegar. When cured, leave an acetone towel on it for a little while and it’ll wipe right off, or scrape it off with a scalpel. Scalpel generally works, but certain pigments seem to increase the bonding strength.

3 Likes

I did it in the shower and a bit of resin dripped down the drain. fuck me

3 Likes

OMG it took me four hours of soldering tiny little wires to put this connector on.
At this rate it will take me 16 hours to put on all four.
Questioning my decisions right now.

7 Likes