Gathering Storm | Trampa HolyPro | Dual 64110 | 10S5P | VESC 6 | Hypertrucks + Falcon | Submersible

I would love the look, something like @Duffman built, but I have nightmares about range

Maybe in the end I get happy with lower range and crawling over everything

Me too, I have it only in my head, need to get my hands on the truck before I start designing it

2 Likes

Glad you started this build so you can ride wherever you want, that’s the best :grin:

:sweat_smile: deep loose sand is evil

So what parts are misssing? Trucks, bindings and tires?

First of all no velcro, better get ratchet bindings for more stability. I often read about that people want to be able to bail in case of emergency. I don’t see this happen this is not possible IMO at least not with both feet at once. If the bindings are mounted properly you have to rotate your feet to get out/in.

I also use heelstraps because of better control and safety, falling sucks but you can’t twist a knee. I was riding 1 year without heelstraps and after every crash one foot was still in the binding but had luck.

Yellow, no speed wobbles below 40km/h. Personally I prefer elastomere dampers (barrels) over springs.

A MTB feels much more stable so it could be that you want to ride faster after some time. The first version of my mtb had 37km/h top speed. After some months I switched to 45km/h. Too lame, actually I switch to 55km/h (65km/h unweighted) because of evil outpacing racing cyclists :rofl:. The thing is that the real top speed is with full battery only and decreases 5-10km/h depending on the setup with lower battery voltage.

Shame on you :wink:

6 Likes

Ratchet bindings with heal straps…They are OK…But I would like to try MBS because most of the riders give great reviews, and I use my board a lot, more confortable bindings will be a bless to my feet… I have 12s8p from @eBoosted, 30Qs batteries, great range and power, but 9 or 10" wheels will probably make my board an unstopping beast, on and off road…So, I would spend the money in the biggest and more amps possible battery, biggest possible wheels, and most confortable bindings… If weight of board it is not an issue for you…

1 Like

Yes about elastomers…I have Trampa barrels on my wife’s board, and they are amazing…much better than springs for sure…Just our impressions…

3 Likes

Was waiting for you to chime in :upside_down_face:

Trucks, tires, bearings, motor mounts, belts, pulleys, case for battery, case for esc, direct drives for the other build so I have another board while I build this one

Will get them, lets see how my riding evolve and what I want to do with it, I’m more of a cruising guy, slow and steady, no tricks or jumps, at least at first

Now the trucks can ship with the elasomere dampers instead of springs and and dampas for the same price, would you recommend that for the riding style I described?

Its not even a stability problem, more of preference to not over risk, my Hummie build is dead stable at that speed, I could push it way further, but its locked at that via software

For both you and @rich, how much range are you guys getting and what battery?

For the 10S13P I would have 130 A of discharge, more than enough

Weight is not an issue, I will not do something that would make the board heavier if there is a way to make it lighter, but not a deal breaker

2 Likes

12s8p @eBoosted made battery of samsung 30Q, about 40 kms having tons of fun…Cruising will las for ever, city riding with not many hills, I can not tell how many kms I can do, but I charge the board 1 or 2 times a week, that is like nothing… My wife board have 12s2p 6s HRB 6000mAh 60C Lipos, she it is getting about 12 to 15 kilometers of fun, but if I ride that board will push half the range for sure…

3 Likes

Alright so no heelstraps and F5 bindings :wink:
Did you check this shop? They ship to Brazil, would be interesting for how much (their shipping is cheap in general).

That’s great news, definitely go with the barrels! If you don’t ride too fast then you can mount them at the inner spring I mean barrel postion for maximum steering. Forget springs, elastomere feels much smoother.

With 12s6p VTC6 18Ah 777,6Wh about 35km (22Wh/km). It would be possible to ride 43km with 18Wh/km or even more e.g. on smooth tamarc without crazy accelerating.

With your 10s13p 35E 44,85Ah 1614,6Wh I could ride 75-90km :crazy_face:, that’s a crazy range for offroad.

Nice, £13, will think about it, but this will take way longer than Trampa

Will get then if you say so

That is one of goals of first buildings with what I have, I think I can do a lot better by running higher pressure and not going crazy fast. How much to you put in your tires?

The one time I tested the 6.5" tires, the consumption I got, off road on packet dirt and a ocasional patch of sand was just 10% more than what I average on the street with 85mm Caguamas, and I would bet it is the pressure, I pumped it as hard as I could

For example, one route I would love to do is to go to my grandpa house, 90 km away via dirt roads, sleep there and back on the next day, possible to charge for a bit on the middle

5 Likes

max. 50psi (3.5bar) but I started to like 25-40psi (2-3bar), that depends on how thick the tire is. But of course for max. range high pressure is better.

Without knowing the pressure? :joy:

That sounds good and should be doable with some charging in between (looks hilly). I’m more concerned what happens when you get some damage or defect in the woods? Some bottles of water could help surviving the long possible walk :laughing:.

4 Likes

I like to live dangerous

First I tried pumping it at a gas station, but it immediately shot up to the limit of the pump, it only measured up to 100 PSI, but I guess it went over that, since it didn’t blow I doubt I could get even close with my puny hand pump, definitely need to get one wit a gauge

First I would need to test the board a lot, but would leave the route with some friends and family and if by night fall nobody hears from me please come rescue :smile:

But yeah, it unbearable hilly, did approximately half of this route by bike a few years ago, tried to get back but the night arrived first, and we didn’t have any lights since we started really early and there would be no way to no be back until dark :roll_eyes:

Rescue was needed

3 Likes

Trucks, tires and bindings ordered

Hope it’s here when I get back from the holidays

4 Likes

Very interesting build :slight_smile: I am curious about how your whole drivetrain will turn out in the end.

So you have one way bearings on both sides in the front? That will work fine I guess. Only thing is, if I am not mistaken, you won’t be able to use motor braking in the front due to the one way bearings. But that shouldn’t be a problem as the more powerful motors are in the back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, no brakes on the front. But if the concept work i would like to do a v2 using gears since belts and mud is not a good match, it may end up that he drag is so low that it doesn’t even make sense to use the one way bearing, but for that the gearing would have to be the same, and I would have less torque on the front

2 Likes

Trucks, tires and bindings are here

The trucks look amazing, and way bigger than I had in mind, the tires on the other way are smaller than expected, I think I will definitely go bigger in the future

Also I’m trying to understand how to install the bindings, as they are and just playing on the table I can’t find a position that they appear to mount aligned, I guess that’s why they have room for adjustment

7 Likes

Trampazilian or Tramzilian …ok, this is weird

2 Likes

Check pictures on the trampa website for reference to mount the bindings right.
Don’t worry, there need to be a bit of a twist.
Did confuse me in the beginning too, but once mounted and you place your foot into you will understand how it should be.
Binding position is something you should play with a bit. There are many stand combination you could choose. Find the right one for you can take a bit, but definitely worth the time spend to find the one which fit you best.

2 Likes

I had a hard time figuring out the bindings as well. I always thought I would break them when forcing them into position. It didn’t help that the straps and ratchets were mixed up when I got them, so the way they were put together it was impossible to mount the bindings. Check that.

Also keep in mind when adjusting them that you should “twist” your foot in. Not slide it in linearly.

4 Likes

@Andy87 thanks, is the twist that is messing with me, u thought it had to be perfectly aligned

I will definitely ride first without them to see what foot placement looks like and only after that start drilling

@Benjo I think it definitely possible that I mixed them up, will post some pictures later

The priority right now is model the trucks and deck to set the belt size and order that since it will take a bit to arrive

For enclosures at first I will get some off the shelf plastic cases that fit perfectly the 10S5P battery and another one for the rest

The battery has to be removable since I will use for my ebike also until I get a new one

2 Likes

Motor mount done, made from 3/16" stainless, no welds, no machining, all laser cut, should be less than $20 for a pair

19 Likes

And just making sure the 3/16" is enough, it wont break, but there is a possibility that it would flex and lead to the belt skipping, but just 0.5 mm of flex at full motor torque is not an issue

9 Likes