Fusing the battery balancing leads?

This initially sounded like a great safety idea but with some thought it seems it wouldn’t offer anything?

The fuses would probably be in the BMS and that is at the “end” of the balancing leads. The fuses would only offer a benefit if the BMS itself short-circuited two balancing leads together (or to one of the main battery connections). This seems unlikely?

Any damage to the balancing leads during use which led to them shorting against each other or something else wouldn’t blow the fuses (if located in the BMS).

Am I not realizing something? Does anyone fuse their balancing leads?

2 Likes

I think you’ll melt 22awg before you burn a cell

7 Likes

It would only be of real benefit while building the pack i woukd have thought… i’ve shorted balance wires before and blown resistors on the bms, but just replaced the resistors and it was fine…

So the resistors kinda already act as a fuse? :rofl:

3 Likes

The only BMS iv used in ESk8 that had any fuses is the DieBieMS. That was only on the batery input.

The one place I could see a fuse usefull is on the cells to protect the balance cables. Been a few cases of crossing cables in badly built packs shorting out with compression or on a corner. It’s why I’m extreamly picky with how I run my balance leads. Any cable crossing or tuning around a corner becomes a high point and then taking a mutch higher % of the weight or compression of the pack making a pintch point or friction point increasing the risk of a short.

Some in line self resetting fuse iv considered e.g. 300ma PCT but never atchaly built in to a pack. Iv normal go for prevention over protection. silicon cable, extra layer of barley paper and routing of cables so that never cross leaves very little risk for a balance lead short.

Yes and no the cable would most likely vaperise befor the cells burn but still causes internal damage to the cell when several hundred amps travel thro them.

Even if the tiny amount of continuity between any voltage potenchal will have a constant load and could cause a p group to fully discharge in storage but may not be significant enough to burn out the cable.

1 Like

/thread

1 Like