FreeSK8 System - Project Updates

Have you got some diebiems action going on too? Like recording pack voltages

7 Likes

We have our own FreeSK8 BMS in the works that will have cell level voltage monitoring data available over canbus and app. Intention would be to add support for existing BMS too, but these things take time.

16 Likes

woa thats generous, so like support for flexi and diebie?

4 Likes

The whole project is generous!

These guys are donating megahours of hard work and experience to us as a community, the generosity is off the chart.

Time will tell, but I’m tipping that FreeSK8 is the future of esk8.

13 Likes

Here are the full schematics & design source files (KiCAD) for the FreeSK8 NRF52 BLE Module. Further documentation, Bill of Materials, & firmware will follow.

15 Likes

Last update for the evening and we’re signing off!

We’ve started a FreeSK8 Beta Testing Group on Telegram & invitations for this group are being sent out via our mailing list to anyone ordering a FreeSK8 device. If you are not subscribed, you’ll need to sign-up for our newsletter (bottom of our website) or shoot us a DM here with your Order # and we will send you the invitation link. This is also where we’ll be staging our FreeSK8 Mobile App testing (Android to start, iOS once we work out some App Store details).

The first batch of NRF52 BLE modules is nearly gone already- we have 8 units left at the time of writing. More units should be back in stock within 2 weeks, with Robogotchis starting to become available for limited beta over the next week or so. Stay tuned for more updates- we’ve got some fun stuff coming in the next week.

9 Likes

I understand that this module, in particular in combination with the external antenna, could possibly fix the connections issues that some have experienced, especially in what @Trampa called Fahraday cages meaning carbon enclosures? Is this correct? Has somebody already tested that?

4 Likes

That’s a good enough question to sign back on to tackle it!

What we can say right now is that so far we are very impressed with the connectivity testing that we’ve done internally on these FreeSK8 NRF52 BLE Module. Internal testing doesn’t encompass the wide number of environmental circumstances & varied build configurations one finds in different real world applications though.

We’d first like to hear back from the beta testers in real-world testing conditions while we continue to gather data & testing results, but our intention is to publish all of our findings & testing results as part of the development & feedback cycle.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info. Can I connect to your dongle in the same way that I would do to Trampa’s original dongle via the VESC app on Android?

And can I connect your dongle to Vesc6 and Mk III just as with Trampa’s dongle?

1 Like

Yes sir! They are 100% compatible with existing NRF dongles- we test in both VESC-Tool mobile & our own App, the NRF pairing function is the same as well.

Correct. They come with a 7 or 8-pin cable.

3 Likes

Please can you ever so slightly elaborate on this? What will it do? Please tell me it does what I think it dodo

6 Likes

The first version of it is a baseplate mounted GPS module w/ indicator light.

9 Likes

Hopefully whoever steals your board isn’t a TKP addict.

1 Like

holy mother of god

2 Likes

pls

8 Likes

I know. My body is ready.

3 Likes

Things are coming along nicely! I’ve mostly been working on the firmware for the Robogotchi but that should soon change as things are wrapping up with GPS support.

FreeSK8 Mobile will get some love next. There are some minor details that I’d like to address before the beta testers get their hands on the hardware but it’s been testing well.

If things to go plan I’ll get back into the FreeSK8 Remote (OSRR 1.0) firmware before too long. I’ve been using our prototype exclusively but haven’t been adding additional features.

20 Likes

Really excited for OSRR!

5 Likes

(stolen from @skate420)

15 Likes

Can this be exported as a JSON file ?

2 Likes