FreeSK8 System - Project Updates

Decided to take this idea and run with it before Renee wakes up and can tell us no.

Have a number of support options here from individual to corporate overlord, depending on the level of involvement you’d like to have in development & beta testing efforts.

I should reiterate that I (currently speaking @DerelictRobot), will be recusing myself from any and all distributions of the patreon funding & it will only being going towards OS development efforts and/or developer THC/Beer budgets.

14 Likes

To add onto this: we’re going to be looking at eventually transitioning entirely over to an Open Source Collective managed entity for FreeSK8. Patreon is nice & easy to get setup quickly, however OSC offers lower overhead fees, much better transparency/oversight tools + alternative funding channels through Github Sponsors & few other options.

It’ll also allow us to elect community board members so that as the project scales, we have oversight & insight into how funds are used to progress the various FreeSK8 projects. For now, likely a bit overkill, but just wanted to give a heads up that will be the direction we’re heading eventually, in addition to potentially forming our own 501c3 to harbor/home all the FreeSK8 IP.

Also worth stating: these are auxiliary funding sources intended to give the community a way to contribute/interact and have a bit more equity in the project direction.

FreeSK8 will continue to be an iterative feedback process with the people riding on it, and we hope to grow that as the platform grows.

Cheers & good night! Excited to show you all what we’ve been so hard at work for in the very near future.

9 Likes

PS:

(Excuse the basic placeholder graphics. Plumbing comes before the fine dinnerware goes out)

ComposedOpulentHammerheadbird-size_restricted

8 Likes

12S4P 21700 PCB + nickel kits coming soon to a build near me?

No particular reason :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

my day

• wake up check DRI website for 21700 nickel
  • pout
  • have coffee
  • do something else that doesn’t require said nickel
  • pout
6 Likes

Updates, when available, will be announced here in our dedicated DIY Battery Supply thread. We’re keeping this thread for FreeSK8 only discussions to keep it tidy :wink: (Taking longer than expected, I think we’re still 3-4 weeks out on nickel)

4 Likes

Here’s what Octoprint do, pretty much what you have laid out, they have I think a healthy situation for an OS community setup

4 Likes

Yep! They have a great setup.

We’re looking at getting setup initially through OSC, which can then connect to a number of different channels, like what Octoprint has done. OSC is more of a backend legal/financial framework specifically to assist open source initiatives. Pretty interesting stuff if you’re curious to learn more:

And our applications are still in process, but here’s our OSC page:

Baby steps! The intention here is to create an organization & structure to support the FreeSK8 IP as a separate entity from Derelict Robot Industries. While we will be designing & producing FreeSK8 hardware to contribute into the project, the actual IP itself will be owned/reside within a neutral entity (such as an 501c3 or proxy via 501c6). That way the project & associated IP takes a life of its own outside of our own commercial enterprise, and it’s always owned/available to the public rather than be owned by any single private entity.

9 Likes

How CAN we say no?

The community demands that all products have a smug yet compassionate sarcastic personality and address anyone over 40 as ‘boomer’

4 Likes

Low hanging fruit Alan. Not on my watch!

4 Likes

:rofl: this is FreeSK8

Seriously though, thank you to everyone who helps support the development efforts! This is certainly a nice surprise to find this morning :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

@DRI Mr. Robot, will I be able to procure a FreeSK8 remote for use with your NRF52 module (which I have already procured) in the very very near future (this month :grinning:)?

2 Likes

Shooting for this month. Fingers crossed.

Working on taking additional steps to reinforce the NRF connection between radio/receiver, so testing, testing, testing.

The remote isn’t something that can be rushed, but it’s what we are currently focused on pushing to the finish line as the Robogotchi has moved into production.

10 Likes

Can I ask why? Did you have connectivity problems?

1 Like

rf interference?

This is not in response to any specific connectivity problems, I just think I found a way to make the connection even more robust and would like to fully test/explore that. I’ll have more details when I figure out if my theory has any merit.

This is potentially making a good thing even better.

2 Likes

Wanted to thank you guys for signing on as supporters. Pretty blown away; much appreciated.

Going to be posting a Future of FreeSK8 update for our supporters with some juicy details on what we’ve got coming and when.

9 Likes

I’m honestly giddy at the thought of holding a @DRI dong in my filthy sweaty hands…

5 Likes

It’s your friendly neighborhood corporate shill here once again to talk about why you didn’t buy your mom a SlapChop last holiday season.

Really though, she deserves one. She’s a nice lady.

First half of this batch of NRF52 Modules are assembled and being tested!

These will be shipping out in the next 1-2 days. Approximately 25 units available in Part A, Part B is of similar size and will be ready by next week.

As a reminder, the NRF52 BLE Module does not have any sort of integrated flash logging features but does provide a BLE connection for the FreeSK8 App, VESC-Tool + an NRF connection for the Trampa Wand + upcoming NRF52 based remotes.

NRF52 Firmware (new dev branch incoming)
OS Design Files & Schematics, KiCAD format.

FreeSK8 Mobile App is in early-release alpha testing, all FreeSK8 purchases will give users the opportunity to enroll for early-access + receive an invite to the Telegram FreeSK8 Beta Testing Group.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

11 Likes

How far are we away from being able to purchase the freesk8 remote? I have many planz.

7 Likes