FOCsTrot Lite - Faultline | Bergs | HeXL | 6.6+ | 12s3p | 6374s

Didn’t think I’d see this day, but here we go with a fresh start to a build that started back in December 2018…presenting the new and improved FOCsTrot Lite! Now with better design and parts

Purpose

For the most part this is a campus board, an average of 5 miles a day in all weathers on brick and sidewalks, swerving through hoards of college students dead to the world…but now and then I will take it for a spin on the twisting and turning back roads of my home city (in the dark of course)!

Useless Numbers

Speed: 24 MPH nominal top speed
Range: 12.2 miles (at 16 Wh/mile per motor) (+16.2 with extended range pack)
Weight: maybe 23 pounds? not sure yet

Expensive Things

Sector 9 Faultline deck
Psychotiller 260mm HeXL trucks
Haggy pumpkin spice Bergmeisters wheels and rims
Dual Haggy 170kv 6374 motors
Apache 1800 enclosure case
FlipSky dual 6.6 plus ESC
FlipSky VX1 remote
Hyperion 12s3p 30Q battery pack
YZPower 8a charger
Boardnamics idler motor mounts
Dickyho 15T steel motor pulleys
385mm x 15mm belts
3D printed 60T wheel pulleys
Zealous steel bearings
METR Pro Bluetooth module
AliExpress LED fuel gauge
AMASS AS150 ignition
eBay high density addressable LEDs
Amazon 50W 5v power converter
Amazon kayak handles (need to buy still)

15 Likes

Wheels!!! I’m so glad I went for the Bergs…they are sexy AF! Also not terribly large and heavy, they look kinda small after the 200mm pneumatics

9 Likes

We got mounts!! These feel super solid as is but I will look into a cross brace for them too…may change to a sand blast finish though

7 Likes

Thoughts on sticking with the new VESC Tool or swapping over to the Ackmaniac software? Using Flipsky FSESC 6.6+ and METR Pro module, I don’t think changing the software invalidates the warranty

1 Like

What are your recommendations for cheap and easy to obtain (in the US) coatings for a molded ABS enclosure?

Truck bed spray?

1 Like

Is there any particular formula that you know works well? I just got my psychotiller enclosure but there are a few defects I wanna patch

Ask people like @Linny and @DerelictRobot - they’ve sprayed things up. I don’t think so though… it’s all pretty much the same stuff. Just textures and matt’s the surface.

2 Likes

I know Linny uses some stuff you can’t get cheap in the US…some local stuff for him

The only viable option I’ve used (due to cost) was the Rustoleum truck bed liner. The first few sprays out of the new can were aerosol duds so I had to shake it rather very vigorously. Luckily for me, I was used to the motion. After I got it going, I just applied a few light coats over my Psychotiller Evo enclosure

6 Likes

How has it held up? And do I need to rough up the surface first?

I didn’t really know how the liner was going to interact with ABS so I took it to a sandblaster set to 25psi for a light sanding. So far it’s held up after a few hundred miles. I messed up and applied too thick of a first coat and it’s noticeable as the surface isn’t even :frowning:

I wish I had a sand blaster

1 Like

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

giphy

11 Likes

Since I’m using MayTech 6374 motors, I lose another 14mm compared to other dual 6374 motors, so I made a custom pulley that is a little lower profile (23mm from hangar face to mount face w/o clearances and speed washers and 17mm are teeth). Thoughts on the design? Gonna print from high infill PLA

2 Likes

To match the wheel pulley I CADed up a new motor mount plate to go with the Boardnamics idler clamp and hardware. It matches the 100mm and 63mm outer rim of the pulley and motor can so it should protect everything from getting fucked up. Does this look like a good design?

4 Likes

Could you explain this bit? Not sure why but its gone wayyyyyyyyyyy over my head

2 Likes

The section with the slots is where the axle clamp mounts, the diameter of that section is 100mm (same as the rim of my pulley, see above) so in theory it will impact before the belt and pulley, so they don’t get damaged.

Same for the motors except that section has a 63mm diameter

1 Like

OOOHHH sort of encapsulating the drive system in a Trampa fashion. To my untrained eye, all i can say is looks good!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s where I got the idea, I might make a print that will encapsulate the whole thing but not for a while

1 Like