Focbox Unity Low Starting Torque

Hey y’all, I got a focbox unity running with dual 6374 flipsky battle hardened motors with a custom built 12s3p p42a battery pack. I’m running Unity FW 23.46, esc settings are 60/-30, 40/-40. Using a VX1 controller communicating through UART. My issue is that upon start I have a pretty low torque output. If it’s the slightest incline it’s a very very slow start even at full throttle. What settings in the unity app do I need to change to give me better start up torque. I’ve already tried changing throttle curves and it does nothing. Any other ideas? I know I can count on y’all!

1 Like

You giving it plenty of throttle? And whats your wheel size and gear ratio?

1 Like

With the slightest incline at full throttle it’s still a slow ramp up. 160mm pneumatics 62T/15T

When you say 60/-30, 40/-40 which is motor and which is battery?

I would try 80 motor amps per motor, 75 battery amps total, braking to taste and see how you go.

1 Like

60/-30 for battery and 40/-40 for motors. Are the settings you just stated safe?

I don’t fucking know because unity FW is fucking confusing as fuck

5 Likes

Per motor; 80 motor, 37.5 battery

That’ll be pretty much maxed. You can bump up motor amps if you want more torque and warm motors.

2 Likes

What’s the scaling for if I bump motors, say I have 60/-30 batteries settings and wanna go 50/-50 motor, would my batteries settings have to go up? How does raising motor amps translated to the battery settings

1 Like

However you like. They are pretty much irrelevant of each other and do different things.

As long as you operate within the limits of your hardware, you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Okay, correct me if I’m wrong, raising motor currents increases low end torque, whereas raising battery currents increases high end torque? Also, if I want to slowly raise my motor current, is it always changed equally with the positive and negative values? So 40/-40 could be raised to 50/-50? Not entirely sure how the negative and positive play into it

Negative is brakes. If you are happy with your brakes, leave the negative values alone.

1 Like

Okay and one other thing, I heard from someone that the motor current should at least be the same as the battery current, does this hold true? Or if I’m happy with my high end torque I leave battery currents at 60/-30 and raise my motor current till it’s to my liking?

Personally i would raise battery current to a safe limit for the pack. Bearing in mind that doing that will increase sag and decrease efficiency.

Bump your motor amps to start with and go from there if you wanna take the tippy toes approach.

2 Likes

I believe the continuous discharge for my pack is 135Amps. Raising my battery amps will increase sag?

The safe continuous discharge for your pack is 75-90A depending on how frisky you are feeling.

4 Likes

I just want good torque throughout my throttle curve, being about 200lbs I’m trying to find the right settings for the job

2 Likes

So say I raise my battery settings to 70/-30, and motors slowly up by 10A till it gets better, would you say that’s a good approach?

1 Like

That’s a safe and wise approach :+1:

2 Likes

I greatly appreciate it man, truly means a lot

2 Likes

Did you change the positive ramping time?
Try shortening it to get more “snappiness” from the controller, otherwise try bumping the motor amps a bit

2 Likes