Foc wizard. Belts on or off?

When I run the foc wizard, setting up my motors, should I have the belts on or off. Thanks for your help.

doesnt matter.

4 Likes

Cool thanks for the reply.

I’ve been told the belts should be off. Would like to know some theory behind it.

2 Likes

Off

4 Likes

I guess without belts the motors can spin without any resistance and the measurements are more accurate. Whenever it’s possible it’s better in theory to run detection without drivetrain, that’s an easy task when building a new board or switching motors. In practice it doesn’t make a real difference (if the belt tension is not too tight). I did several detections with the same motors with and without gear drive. The results were identical so if I have to redo detections in the future I won’t remove the drivetrain anymore.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing all my focbox unity motor detection with wheels on and it seems happy with that.

I know with BLDC on focboxes it wouldn’t always like it (sometimes fail) and it’s best to remove the belt.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking on this lately. As we always would be able to take the belts off no problem.
But now with gear drives and hubs it’s not really an option?

3 Likes

Cool thanks a lot for the replies guys. I’m going with belts off from now on.

As long as the motors, VESCs and battery stay the same you can do the detection once and save the values, reuse them Everytime.

1 Like