First DIY Help.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way :joy:

Ok so I took the inner tube out and submerged it under water and air bubbles came out what so ever, not the valve either so I don’t know. How would the tape help if air isn’t leaking ?

Squeeze the tube while it’s submerged to make sure. If it doesn’t leak underwater i don’t see how it would leak in the tire…

Sooooo is the gap between the tire and gear supposed to be bigger or smaller. I noticed on side is deeper than the other. Does it matter?

Here is the gap difference

Help! Does anyone know why this won’t fit or how to get it on?

Is the keyway slotted all the way in? I find sometimes they don’t always fit perfectly, which might be keeping it from sliding on all the way.
Also sometimes theyre just tough to get in, so maybe you could tap it with a mallet.
Or the grub screws haven’t been backed out enough yet for the pulley to slide on.

side question: what hubs are you using? If they’re mbs hubs, what are you using for the standoffs?

Might need to trim the keyway with a dremel tool if you have one, had that same issue where it won’t go over the gear but shaving it down a bit should work

Yes, that will matter a lot. One side isn’t fully seated, or maybe the spacers aren’t all the same length or something. You will definitely need to fix that before you ride.

Try removing the key from the motor shaft (it should be just press-fitted in there, so it should come out with a little tugging and wiggling with a pair of pliers) and try the gear on the shaft without the key installed.

If it goes without the key but won’t go with it, then your key is a little bit oversized. Pretty easy to remedy, less than a minute with some sandpaper or a file (or a rotary tool) should do it. Try not to take off any more material than you have to, it’s probably only a few thousandths of an inch difference between too tight and just right.

If the pulley doesn’t go on without the key either, then I’d suggest checking the pulley’s bore and the shaft both for scratches, burrs, dings, dents, or other imperfections that could be getting in the way. A part that made it through QC without having all the little sharp bits left over from machining be removed can easily cause things to not fit. If you find any, just dress them down nicely with a file or similar, and try again.

1 Like

It would be better if there were a video tutorial