Figuring ideal gearing

What current does your motor draw when going full speed with no load? (On table with computer). As I understand it the most efficient way to get the most power is to balance copper losses and iron losses (switching losses) and even with a 3:1 or 4:1 gearing and small wheels the losses and heat in the motor is very largely created by copper losses. I^2R. The current you draw with no load on the desk is the sum of all the iron losses when loaded or unloaded and based only on rpm. To get an equal proportion of losses from iron switching as amps going through resistance the motor would need to be going maybe …how much faster? (answer based on ur average current draw on a ride, and ur iron loss (current drawn with no load on desk) of half throttle and full and to what erpm or rpm that got the motor to.

I think with that info and you would will know what speed the motor would be ideally spinning. And then you can figure what gear will get you there. And then realize a skateboard gear can only be so big before it hits the road.
What gearing is @moon doing on the geared drive?

3 Likes

love that sciency stuff
paging @professor_shartsis for more info… oh wait… he ded :sob:

If that’s the bottleneck anyways, why bother figuring out the perfect gear ratio?
Even if you decide you want 12:1 and even if you make a multi-stage reduction that will fit on a board, it would ride like crap, pretty much no freeroll and the second you dump the throttle you fly off the board…

1 Like

I think @moon was making gears that could get a higher ratio. Wonder if he ever compared and figured the ideal ratio for the motor or he designed based on other needs

1 Like