Feedback (literally) for throttle

Do you guys actually have feedback from your thumb/trigger throttle to know where your finger is across the course or you just have to deal with speed and G thrust?

I’m building a custom throttle and wondering if I’ll really benefit from having feedback, kinda like a brake. Or just have it linear like an accelerator. Or have feedback only for the brake too.

I’d imagine there must be something better than just the auto center coil right?

1 Like

Feedback would increase your accuracy a lot. Fighter planes have feedback built into their sticks, modern planes haven’t had their controls directly connected to the aircraft control surfaces for a long time and yet the pilots still need feedback.

1 Like

Thank you for the input! Then would you advise a kinda linear force feedback toward extremities? Center is softer and more resistance when closing in max accel or max brake?

1 Like

From my understanding the feedback is exponential, from minimum at small inputs to larger at large throws of the stick.

I really am not an expert, just some info I picked up from my time in the RAF

1 Like

You’ve been flying in the RAF? That’s f*cking badass man, how long did you operate?

And that’s great input actually, thank you again. I’m building around a joystick architecture so the experience with flight stick couldn’t be more on point. :joystick::beer:

Oh no not a pilot mate just electronics eng!

1 Like

That’s still awesome :muscle:t4::muscle:t4: pilots manage to fly thanks to your job then.

I’ll try the settings you advised. Got an idea for it.

1 Like

Agree with the exponential approach as an ideal but I haven’t really registered that on any of the remotes I’ve used though… so if it’s there, it’s subtle.

I don’t think it’s a matter of sensing where you are on a scale - who cares actually? It’s probably more about checking your commitment and helping you avoid going full-bore unintentionally.

Is this related to our exchange on the Impact Pads thread btw? If so, and assuming it’s associated with an armature fixed to the digit (and therefore constantly applied), the amount of resistance shouldn’t become too great and should ideally be adjustable. I’m a trigger-finger type (Maytech R2) and I often find myself using my middle finger to stop the trigger sliding back while I stretch, relax or reposition my index finger.

1 Like

Sorry for late reply! Thanks for your input, we’ll it is for another kind of throttle project I’m working on.

But I’m pretty sure the learnings from this will also benefit the slide glove remote all the same. Can answer you on this topic so info is not split :beers:

I took time to watch Maytech R2 remote, you have an indépendant throttle and brake right? On my side I can do all the modeling + 3d printing work but I lack remote to test and measure things. Best thing to test the concept IMO would be first to adapt an existing remote then next move is either make a scalable adapter for most compact remotes or make a full blown one from open source model.

Skimmed the thread don’t know if it’s mentioned but the focbox pilot should have feedback with increasing force required the more throttle you give because of the magnets repelling the wheel.

Along with a million other projects I want to do some day, I might 3D print a new case and wheel for the nano-X with magnets in there for better feedback.

1 Like