Extra wide decks

Are there any decks that can be used for ESK8 wider than 10"? Why not have a deck that is 11 or 12"?

8 Likes

I really can’t answer why brands don’t make wider decks.
I do know most veneers are around 12 inches wide, so that could be a reason.

I can give you a way to create what ever size you like.
https://www.roarockit.com/

Here is one of a few deck designs I have been working on.

21 Likes

This is interesting, what else have you made? Show us more.

2 Likes

The Flybar - Glitch is 10.25" and is the only deck I know that fits the old @Psychotiller “Bigly” enclosure

But the deck is probably too weak and flexible to use without a skinning job or at least fiberglass reinforcement on the bottom. Then, it’s a solid deck.

2 Likes

Supplies just ordered :ok_hand:
That deck looks cool

5 Likes

This is a semi-copy of a MBS Comp 95.
I wanted a similar shape but more snowboard look.
The board is a little more rounded, a little wider not much as well as the tail and nose have a more
round bend and not so hard. This is the second deck I made. The first one was a learning curve and the third one is the 11 inch or first one I posted. So I have only made 3 so far and non are fully complete but
Im just having fun shaping and pressing them.

6 Likes

How big are your feet?
Once your toes / heels aren’t pressing on the edges, what’s the extra width for?
Edit- No bindings, feet move and extra width makes sense for that I guess. More foot placement options.

2 Likes

Dude your going to have a Blast with this!
I did mess up my first one but you learn a lot messing up if you do mess up.

I wanted to cut my deck after pressing. I didn’t think to cut the veneers a little thinner than
the mold. I did think to cut the length down though. With that said make sure your veneers fit within
your mold or you will have some compression issues like I did on my first go.

After that little hiccup, all has pressed amazingly well.
I suggest if going for crazy bends or many ply’s that you do it in stages.
Example: 4 layer press, let cure then press the 3 others on for a 7 ply standard deck.
Main point they form better and bond better if done in stages.

6 Likes

Cheers bro. I have lots of ideas about projects and plan on some composite layups with FG and CF so should be lots of stuff to learn. LDP platform deck for use with g bombs first.

3 Likes

9 1/2 shoe so the 11 inch deck swallows my feet.
The goal was to make a board my shoes fit within and allow a massive platform for landing jumps.
I never had a board this wide and wanted to know what it felt like, as well as other shapes.
The kit is cheap and once you have the kit you just purchase veneers, foam and glue to make random shapes.

Its been very fun so far, kinda adds to my esk8 addiction.

2 Likes

Please share what you come up with.
Im already Hyped to see it!

2 Likes

Yup have vacuum bagging setup and have done some vac bagging CF stuff. Just picked up a bunch of veneer and composites fabrics and stuff. :+1:

4 Likes

cool, I was looking into those. I am really looking for a shorter, wider mountainboard. Prototipo is already a weeny bit too long for my taste. I love those BROs by the look of them but I can already tell they would probably be too long for me.

what do you use to cut it out? does an electric jigsaw do the job? or do you need a bandsaw?

2 Likes

That would be an interesting feel. Usually you’d want your feet to jut out a little so you can get extra leverage pushing on the rails. I guess you could get a similar amount of leverage by adding concave instead.

@Esk8_Spirit Could be good for you

If you want to pony up the dollars, Red Ember has some 11“ decks he can make for you.

4 Likes

What’s the best way to get in touch with Red Ember?

3 Likes

Instagram. He hops on here from time to time. @jamie

Keep in mind that these are made custom for you, so the process takes some time and costs $$.

4 Likes

IG :call_me_hand:

2 Likes