Esk8 noob needs help

I mean, the board is right behind me, so not really.

Interesting that you provided some “pros & cons” of the boards I was considering…and that your assessment is similar to mine…to which I’ll respond - starting with the one you didn’t mention (which I mentioned in my initial post) - the B-One TITAN Super.

I removed the TITAN from consideration for several reasons, the most important of which had to do with “problems” within the company (most of which are public knowledge, as well as publicly available). The company is very young (approx 1yr), and, to be completely honest, I’ll be surprised if the company is still around 2yrs from now. As for the Hurricane, all that you said…plus, it’s a board mainly concerned with ‘speed’, and nothing about ‘range’. Of the last two, I was initially leaning towards the Zeus…for the same reasons you pointed out, but also because of its range. But, at the same time, I preferred the board shape of the GTS (the Zeus is completely flat down the middle), plus it’s known to have considerably better torque & braking (the Zeus has…or, should I say, ‘had’, which I’ll get into in a sec…mediocre torque & braking). The programmability of the VESC is also a huge ‘plus’ (compared to the “locked down” HW on the Zeus)…but, the biggest ‘problem’ (for me…or, more specifically, my (current) weight) was the DKP trucks.

I was almost ready to “give in”, and get the GTS, when I came up with the idea that led to this thread (which, btw, I typed yesterday morning, but forgot to post until this morning)…and, I’m glad I didn’t order the GTS - partly because of what you said about their VESC, and patrly because of something else. Since I created the thread, some “interesting” things have happened.

As I’m sure many are aware, there’s been a ‘rumor’ going around for the past several weeks (or longer), that Ownboard would be replacing the ESC in the Zeus with a new ESC…although, there was no info/proof to back this claim up. The “problematic programming” of the HW 9028 ESC was the primary reason I was considering the Eovan GTS (knowing HW ESCs from my RC involvement, I was somewhat certain the ‘problem’ was the programming, especially considering the TITAN uses the same ESC & motors, but doesn’t have the same acceleration/braking problems). Over the past 24 hours, someone I’ve been in contact with received his Zeus, to which he discovered “changes” in the acceleration & braking…namely, that both appeared to have been been greatly improved. This was followed by an email from someone at Ownboard, letting me know that the Zeus is currently shipping with a ‘new’ ESC. After replying back for more detailed info, and receiving a reply, it was confirmed - the Zeus DOES now contain a ‘new’ ESC, which drastically improves the acceleration & braking. Granted, I’d be willing to bet that this ‘new’ ESC is not “new”, but is probably the same HW 9028 with new programming. As of the late morning (evening, in China), they have even updated the product page to reflect this.

So, now, the Zeus FINALLY meets what I “want” in an AT Esk8…and, it has already been ordered, and is being prepped for shipment. Does this mean that I have decided to forgo building my own board? NO!!! I built a Class 3 RC crawler completely from a collection of unrelated parts, yet I still build RC kits…and, I’m currently building two more crawlers (another C3, plus a U4) from "parts…so, yes, I will, eventually, get to building my own board. As such, I am going to keep this thread ‘open’, and will continue to check it, and other threads, as well as keep up with the latest Esk8 parts info. It might be one year, or five years, before I actually build it…but, sooner, or later, it will be done. I’m still an Esk8 noob…but, by the time I actually build it, I’m already more confident that it will be done “right”.

Same thinking for me. The company is too new, and they’ve stormed right into the market with seemingly decent products. I’d give them some time before I would even consider them.

According to their facebook group, there’s a better esc in the units shipping now.
Zeus seems good. The problem I suppose is with a heavy rider you’ll feel the wrath of saggy cells, though it is what it is. A zeus with a p42a pack would probably be an ideal board for you.

Another pro of the zeus is the battery construction. It’s the best built battery in a prebuilt I’ve seen. Built like a tank and with SAFETY in mind.

If you want prebuilt, I’ll second or third the zeus for all the reasons previously mentioned. If you want to jump in with both feet and just diy, I’d recommend a Bustin Sporster build. I’m building out two of these myself (4th & 5th builds). The build style (semi flex swappable AT to street) and price match what you stated you want. Plus the board style is similar to the prebuilts you mentioned.

Parts list:
Bustin Sportster deck
Eboosted (eboardsperu) enclosure
Stormcore 60d+/Xenith/Unity (depending on the version of enclosure)
RKP trucks (Surfrodz is my jam, but others like BN)
Motor mounts (here BN wins hands down)
Dual 63XX motors.
12s4p battery from one of the reputable builders
Remote
Random wiring and cables (see the threads on must have junk)

If you are frugal you can build this out around 1600

hey guys! newbie here, i was thinking about getting the Titan or Ownboard Zeus and was looking for a review to make an informed purchase. Then I saw this post that starting changing my mind on whether or not I should buy it the Titan. Idk much about B-one, except it being new on the scene. You say its public knowledge about its problems but I couldn’t find any news or coverage of B-one being problematic. If anyone could shed some light for me on what the “problems” are, that’d great. sorry for my lack of knowledge, once again i’m a newbie.

1 Like