ESC Battery cutoff settings

Yeah, you just have to know have a rough idea of what your board is capable, that why the goal is to have more batteries than your legs can take

1 Like

don’t you find that toward the end of the charge there is less sag leeway? As in you’ll accelerate and go from 32v to 30v and then if you give it a bit more it’ll cut off completely as it hits 29v? I think @b264 has the cutoff start so high so that there is lower current draw between 36v and 30v so you can suck maximum capacity out of the packs with less sag…? correct me if I’m wrong

2 Likes

Yeah, he definitely can go farther due to the maximum discharge current getting progressively lower, if I do that I can’t get home due to large amount of hills around here, and I prefer to have the punch even at close to 0%

1 Like

but you dont get the punch do you? the cells would be sagging at that point which would pull them down to the cutoff end?

True, but it lasts much more than if I set the cut off higher

1 Like

With steep hills, probably so. I have steep hills but they are mostly in parking garages after I get home, and I can take the elevator instead if needed.

12s6p 30Q
lithium ion
40.8 start
37.2 end

2 Likes

12s10p30q
33v start
31v end

1 Like

What do you guys experience after you crossed the “cutoff start” threshold? In the VESC tool it states:

“The input voltage or current starts to get reduced”

That makes sense. However, I get “current reduced” to 6km/h. That’s a pretty useless speed to do anything with. It happened the first time today when I was doing a test ride and I ended up busing home :confused:

Is there someway for me to increase the “limited current” to ~10-15kmh? I don’t see anywhere in the VESC tool to do that though.

If I can’t, I’ll just change my settings to 3.05v cutoff start and 3.0v cutoff end because 6km/h is essentially the same as dead to me.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Increase the distance between start and end cutoff to solve this

1 Like

Assuming you do this, how fast can you go after “cutoff start” is triggered?

Technically it doesn’t limit speed at all, only power

Im using a 10s4p battery and at 30% battery left and only doing 10 miles the battery shuts off. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

1 Like

These look like 10S cutoffs

1 Like

Yeah, I deffiently did not do that lol

Some lions let you discharge to 2.5 tho. I dont think 30q do tho

Anyone?

You should repost / move this into Citadel. Super useful info I just happened to stumble here.

2 Likes

@longhairedboy

1 Like

Will you look at that, a thread I started 2 years ago still holds some relevance :joy:

2 Likes