Enclosure repair

Hey guys, I’m repairing my enclosure that the screw head busted completely through the enclosure.

I’m currently fixing it now, but would like some feedback, as fiberglassing is not my expertise.
I’ve epoxied 3 layers of fiberglass onto the bottom of the enclosure.
My next plan is to fill the top side with JB weld to lay on top of the fiberglass, and then drill and counter bore for the screw. Thoughts?
@b264 @eBoosted. Thanks!

5 Likes

I have been advised to sand the part you wish to reinforce or repair before fiberglassing over it. The inside is apparently painted and doesn’t adhere really well. Then fill the hole.

I would probably try to drill somewhere else but you’d have to drill your deck and fill its hole too.

2 Likes

@glyphiks and @rosco are our resident enclosure diy’ers.

2 Likes

Yeah like @Tamatoa said, the insides (and outside) of those enclosures are painted so for the best adhesion, you really wanna sand that paint off.

Buuuuttt, seeing’s you’ve already come this far, i’m not too familiar with JB weld, but what I would do is use milled glass fibres mixed with resin to fill up the hole, and i’d be tempted to put at least a thin cloth on the outside as well.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input, I’m gonna go forward and see what happens. :grimacing:.

The through hole you made was too big from the begining, I suggest the use of aluminum washers for the future.

You need to completely sand off the paint and fill out the holes with fiberglass sheets and resin, let it dry and them sand the excess down, finally paint it with spray paint.

You could also use slow cure JB weld epoxy and sand the excess down if you want an easier fix.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply. My though hole was not to big. It was 5.3 mm for an m5 screw. I assume my fault was Screwing it down without the gasket on, and torquing it down to fit the ends of the deck , as there was about a 13mm gap on the ends. Either way, I’ll fix it. The enclosure is beautiful by the way

3 Likes

Don’t use JB Weld, it’s too hard for this. Use something like West System 650 and anywhere you can’t use glass weave, mix milled glass fiber into the resin, like for filling the hole. Sand everything and clean with isopropanol before applying epoxy.

Also to know when to add additional coats.

You want to do one of two things:

1. wait until it gets stiff but not cured (maybe 1-4 hours) then add another coat

OR

1. wait the full entire 24+ hours and wash off the blush, then add another coat once dry

Doing anything else could cause delamination issues. 1) works better because the polymer chains cross the layer boundary. But 2) works fine. Doing it other ways has more risks.

2 Likes

Ok, so I sanded the paint of the bottom fiberglassed over ALL the holes, and filled them with jb weld and sanded smooth. The reason I did all the holes, was I didn’t feel comfortable using that fixed hole long term, and couldn’t bare to look at one new hole unsymmetrical to the others. So, all new holes moved slightly. :smirk:

3 Likes

Is it normal to have to bend the enclosure 12mm to fit?

Alan told me it is, which I thought was weird. I literally thought the enclosure was too large but he said that for the evo the screws would bend it enough to seal (you should use a gasket ofc)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I shouldn’t have tried to flex it that much before without the gasket. But did that while installing the threaded inserts into the deck.

That sounds like a defect. If the deck was used as the buck for molding the enclosure, it should be an exact fit unless something warped (or intentionally designed that way?). I’m no fiberglass expert, just saying.

2 Likes

Oh i believe you, its just odd.

Could it be the variation in trying to make it fit the evo 39 and 40? If so, I understand, if not, :thinking:

1 Like

@Evwan , is your deck a 40 or 39? Mine is a 39

They’re the same. It’s just different websites have a different number apparently.

1 Like

Was not aware of that

1 Like

I’m like 99% sure.

1 Like