eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Yeah, what @topcloud said about them blew me away. I think I remember he took them off to put on his reference wheels, then swapped them back.

Thanks for sharing another experienced rider’s impressions. I hope if the 100s get made, they don’t change anything but the dimensions.

4 Likes

Passing along some info from Kenna. She is giving me the option of receiving new and improved 72kv motors. If you ordered a set and they didn’t ship yet I’m sure she would do the same for anyone else who ordered.

4 Likes

Same here. I’m slightly disappointed since I plan to go for big wheels and I’m not really a speedy guy. I asked when the 58kv will be available and haven’t got the answer yet.

1 Like

@topcloud @Winfly: Guys, would it be possible for you to get an update from Kenna regarding the latest batch of motors? Kenna does communicate with me on WhatsApp but we struggle understanding each other. I ordered the 58kv motors and yesterday I was told they would be shipped on Tuesday. Today, Kenna contacted me and told me she can only provide 72kv. I asked what happened with the 58kv batch and I’m getting very fuzzy responses.

1 Like

Well, she has shifted focus away from 58 since everyone seemed to want 72kv. People who ordered 58 are getting 72 like RyanSinatra shared with us.

We are a vendor’s nightmare at times.

3 Likes

Just talked with her.

The scoop:

Both 58kv and 72kv are still being offered but only 72 available to ship right away. Her understandable assumption is that people clamoring to get their motors ASAP will accept either product. If you are okay to wait, then you will have your 58 version like mine.

She will be offering both going forward. If you have any communication issues, feel free to ask and I will try to help.

6 Likes

Jan, is it easier for you if I tell her you want 58?

Thanks for getting the update for me. I appreciate it. I’ll PM you so that we don’t clutter the thread.

Clutter the thread. This is all good info for buyers!

6 Likes

I connected the battery, sadly kv command wasn´t working in Terminal.
I hope you can draw your conclusions out of the Screenshot.
My motors seems to be 56,6 mOhm.

1 Like

KV = 26672erpm/(10pole_pair*38.5V*0.95) = 72.92.

You were right, you do have the elusive 75KV motors. The winding resistance also indicates that. At 56mOhm, it’s a tiny bit better than the 65mOhm winding resistance of 75KV TB DD.

5 Likes

Same here. I ordered the 58kv version but Kenna is offering the 72kv.
My idea was to use this with 6" tires like @mishrasubhransu.

If I use the 72kv version with 6" tires Will the performance be greatly affected??

1 Like

Yeah, would be pretty underwhelming unless you get 4WD

1 Like

@Zeah It looks like we’re the only two who prefer 58kv. I actually thought I was the only one so I agreed to switch to 72kv but I’m now revising that. Kenna told me the 58kv would be available in about a month. I’m not happy about that since I specifically ordered 58kv two weeks ago and was told they would ship by now. Anyway, what are you going to do? Will you wait for the 58kv?

Cool updates :slight_smile: was still trying to figure out my setup for when I get my drives. I need wheels still :no_mouth:

1 Like

I know. I feel your pain. I was a bit disappointed when Kenna told me the version ready to ship is the 72kv version.

I realy don’t know. I’m a bit confused right now.
I talked with her and she said they tested the 72kv version with 6" wheels and bigger and it was ok.
On the other hand @mishrasubhransu told that the 72kv version Will not perform as good as the 58kv version with pneumatics.

Anyway She is going to send me tomorrow some pictures of the wheels they use with the 72kv version.

I Will let you know when get the pictures.

2 Likes

I guess that very much depends on the definition of “ok”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually it might turn out to be fine, because I set my max motor current to 35amps and that results in 55-60 degree after the end of my uphill ride. I just didn’t want to push it higher.

And for the same max current you’ll have less torque than my 58KV motors, but since your winding resistance is lower, you can push up the max current higher than mine. It’s a juggle between managing the heat and having a good torque.

3 Likes

I just upped my motor max to 45 and min to -50. Wow, it feels like a whole different board now. Even with pneumatics and 2WD

5 Likes

I have mine currently at 80A -80A and after 20km mixed terrain (mostly flat with three short but steep inclines) the motors stay at an acceptable temperature. Yeah with those settings the motors are really torquey. However I had them at 60A -60A before and the difference isn’t too big.

2 Likes