EBike Forum Suggestions

The last few days a friend of mine bought an NoName EBike Kit from EBay.
There are also several different Kits available on the web.
Is there a prefered builder forum for EBike Kits like ESK8?
Anyone any experience?

1 Like

reddit.com/r/ebikes

Ranges from the usual 250w I’m a responsible adult guys to the 15kw “it’s got pedals, it’s a bike, what are you talking about I can’t ride at 70mph?”.

5 Likes

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php?sid=32b3ad823e0f397256046ac599189e72

search no more…

9 Likes

Perfect. Thanks, i will give it a try! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loads of awesome information out there, I’m currently looking into it as well but as a start the basic order is:

Buy cool bike
Buy bafang kit
Make battery

Ride that for a year and then go nuts on another one if it’s even needed. I think like esk8 it’s worth starting out simple with reusable parts. It’s like a single motor 38" deck with 5 off the shelf enclosure options available, wheels and trucks from a local store. Easy, gives you a base understanding and works like a gateway drug

7 Likes

Stop being helpful Brent, it’s weird.

5 Likes

You should see his heartfelt welcome to @Saltyfingore on the carving thread. You would think it was @mmaner writing.

2 Likes

Slurp it up ladies

2 Likes

You have a good point there.
I already got new ideas and improvements only with a short glance into the EBike Kit of my friend.
At the moment i am waiting for onewheel parts and consider the current situation it will take some time (E.g. order delays).
The importance of the onwheel project is trivial, so a side project is the way to go.

At the moment i have an eye for the “Cruiser Lux Fat Tire 7D” Bike.
And based on the simplicity an front Hub solution.
I thought about a custom made battery, but i can’t say if its worth the time.
But nothing is written in stone.
Lets see where this is going.

You’d likely assemble this into a working state in the space of 2 hours. Then put some miles on it and see how you feel? Luckily it’s an established industry so I’ll probably buy everything second hand and do what needs to be done to get it up and running smoothely.

1 Like

I think the best/easiest build is a DIY mid drive, or Bafang kit, then also throw one of these hubs on for some added power https://www.ebay.com/itm/183814140454 currently have one of those and an 80100 on my ebike

1 Like

@Brenternet
Absolutly not! I already have an chiped E-Bike, Mountenbike and ESK8.
So at the moment there is no need for it and consequently no time limit.
I also accept modification with limitation.
Big modification of the frame should be avoided (Constraint by available tools).
In conclusion the “simplicity” regards the constraints of tools and space of my workshop.

@Mr.Electronicist
One of my colleagues already bougth a Bafang Kit and i also read many positiv feedback.
The one thing i am not excited about is the “Mid Drive” concept.
But because its more an “aesthetic negative attitude” i probably should throw away this personal opinion.

1 Like

My only negative with mid drives is they only apply torque when you pedal. I wanna be able to be lazy and only rely on motor power to get me around

I’m sure I’ve seen conversions for them with a throttle somewhere. It’s not off the shelf but with a little tinkering it may be possible

pretty much all mid drive kits come with a throttle. You can choose not to install it to make it legal if you live in a “unfortunately governed” area.

No, I was saying they use the same chain that you pedal with, so if the motors spinning you have to pedal correct? Or do they have one way bearings so the front sprocket can spin without the pedals?

Edit. Just saw that they do have the one way bearing.