Dusk R2 - More volts, more amps, more everything

woot woot not late BOTY entry

Here’s my latest creation, finished in October and finally published at 6pm on new years eve.
Not much of a build log here, besides the problems that come with testing a prototype drivetrain, it was mostly smooth sailing.

Current Specs:
MakerX D75
16s3p p42a
6.42:1 Moon drives
205kv Reacher v5
Unobtanium Prototype PKPs
Tomiboi Hubba Hubs
Tomiboi Toe-hooks
MBS T3 tires
Hoyt Puck
Robogochi
IDEA ESC enclosure
Monoprice box

Future Upgrades:
SKP SOLO escs
16s6p p42a pack
Custom ESC Enclosure
Real suspension :eyes:
MBS F5 bindings

this thing is a fuckin rocket, like actual rocket. Puts all of my other boards to shame. It’s my first real mountainboard and its a blast to ride. I’ve really enjoyed taking it offroad and hitting the trails.
This is probably the lousiest build thread i’ve put together but I really dont know what else to contribute

19 Likes

What’s your suspension plan? That sounds cool

2 Likes

I’m going to be totally honest I don’t have one yet. My very tentative plans are to use 2 dnm burners to create suspension on each truck. Unfortunately it’s not going to be independent per wheel but I definitely don’t have the skills to do something that crazy. Just something small that allows the entire truck to move up and down some rail.

2 Likes

A parallelogram linkage with a mountain bike shock is totally doable with stuff from McMaster, sendcutsend, and some CAD skills. I think there was a build last year that went that route

Edit: This one

5 Likes

Yeah that’s my very tentative plan haha. I’ll probably work on it throughout my spring semester

There is a lot of potential in suspension. I’m not sure I got it right on my first attempt. Working on fixing some issues now.

5 Likes

Do you plan on selling your design/potentially open sourcing it? that would save me a lot of headache haha

2 Likes

I have thought of doing both. At this stage I’m not sure it’s better than a flexy deck. I think the next version I’m working on with updated geometry will be. It will be pretty expensive to produce so probably won’t sell it. I will share cad images soon.

3 Likes

id love to say this doesnt affect me but it really does :rofl:

2 Likes

2 Likes

mountainbike shock too big.

maybe trampa spring bushings with dampas? I wonder if those would even survive that lol

1 Like

How big is that one? You can get them as small as 125mm AFAIK

3 Likes

this one is pretty big, yeah. I’m gonna work on a design first that uses trampa barrel bushings and springs just so I can figure out what I’m working with.

Fitting a small spring inside the linkage is definitely the cleanest option. If you want more travel or need to use the bike shock, you can also anchor the other end near the center of the board, so the shock goes over your foot.

A smaller bike shock can also be mounted from the lower linkage to a tower that you extend above the mounting point at the deck, the way it was done on the displacer board.

2 Likes

The application in @Titoxd1000 's board is definitely ideal. Once his design is updated I totally wanna give it a try. I really liked @Tony_Stark 's suspension idea with their boards, except I wanna try it with the larger trampa/kaly bushings.

4 Likes

Ok hear me out

3 Likes

That is nice simple design. I think it would work well for the front depending where the axle will be. The rear will get tricky because you want the pivot to be considerably higher than the axle imo. Single arm works well with shorter travel so truck doesn’t change angle to much.

What I have gathered in my testing is the optimal geometry is different front and rear since one side is a leading arm and the other is trailing. I’ll share my cad images soon and that might make more sense. (*Something like bajaboard can have symmetrical suspension at each corner since axle path is not really relevant)

1 Like

Are you talking about having some effect like the axle path moving upwards and to the rear for the front linkage?

ohhh I see what you mean. If you look at channel truck bushings they’re kinda perpendicular to each other, versus the suspension compression having to be parallel on both sides? The rear can do something similar to the front, but be above the motors?
Suspension Compression

Yeah basically front and rear need to be different due to axle path. Rear should be high pivot and front should be “low pivot”.

What’s shocking is all scooters that I’ve seen with leading arm got it wrong.

1 Like