DRV fault and how to correct?

Your saying to use heat shrink overthe connection spot between the motor and ESC wires? Wouldn’t this make it a pain if you needed to tear down the board on the go? Why not electrical tape? Covers up the spot so you don’t short and quick and easy to replace if needed. What’s the danger? Newbie so forgive the ignorance

1 Like

Why would you need to tear down the board on the go? Are you going to carry a mobile workshop with you for this scenario?

1 Like

Electrical tape is horrible stuff. It leaves gooey residue everywhere and doesn’t hold up to any sort of heat.

2 Likes

Yeah heatshrink is defo what you want. If a phase disconnects on you, you lose your brakes best case. I lost my brakes due to this going down a BRIDGE and I had to bail at 20mph. Worst case, you eat shit and fry your esc. I use a layer of scotch packing tape with heatshrink on top. Holds it pretty well.

If you have to disconnect your motor on the go, you may want to reconsider your approach.

2 Likes

I’m gonna ask a noob ass question, tried to look up what DRV stood for, got multiple answers. What does it stand for?

I ride with the most essential tools or parts needed for repair no matter what. I’d rather have to replace a belt or patch a hole in a tube on the side of the rode than walk and Carry my board a long ass distane.

You never know when something will go wrong and I’d rather have the tools with me and not need them. I’ve had to take off my enclosure and fix flats miles from home far too many times. It sucks to have something break and not have the tool needed

I can only assume it stands for ”Driver” since that is what it is.

@ISOgone4good
For my personal interest since you have a 100D, would you mind sending your offset values to me? (From the side that gave drv issue)

Its important that your motors phases are connected before you power up the board.
You find them here.

drive

1 Like

Lol makes sense, I was thinking too far into it.

1 Like

@Fatglottis I actually own a 60D, not a 100D.

Here are my offsets. I believe this is the correct motor. Motor one is the issue, just not sure wether vesc tool starts at 0 or 1 when numbering motors.

1 Like

You’ve never had any funky issues while out on a ride? Hit a bump to hard and have something come loose or completely disconnected while your 10-15 miles from home?

To me, these things seem inevitable when doing it DIY. This is the reason I ride with the tools needed to fix most issues one may have.

My approach is if I have to disconnect a motor on the go, I’ll be prepared to do so.

hot glue, silicone, or even ziptie can prevent that. have u seen the jumps people do to their board? if they haven’t loosen a wire / connector, then its possible that u may have done something wrong

1 Like

No. My boards are rock solid and I don’t worry about jank anymore. I did 40 miles yesterday across 2 group rides and I’m not suspicious of anything coming loose. If you don’t have everything secured in your enclosure, including phases, then it’s on you for having things disconnect.
It

Hot glue all external connectors (power button’chargeport). Velcro the esc. Remote reciever, robogochi down, pad the battery with neoprene and VHB it down, loctite every fucking screw.

3 Likes