Do these motors sound fucky?

Just taking my build out for the first ride. The motors sound a bit grindy at higher speeds… it rides fine, and doesn’t look too wobbly.

Is this normal or something to investigate? I also only notice the noise when the motors are under load, they sound a good bit cleaner when I’m not standing on it.

You sure it’s not road noise? Make sure the tire pressure is high enough

2 Likes

What motors?

1 Like

BN 6384, which I believe are Flipsky

1 Like

Yeah it’s definitely the motors, just not sure the vid portrays the sound well enough. You can hear some road noise but I’m referring to the mechanical grinding sound that comes when I accelerate too hard etc.
+all tires @ ~50psi, so that shouldn’t be it

Check your backlash, hold the wheel and spin the motor with your hand. If you get 1 click and only a few degrees of turn you’re good, if it has a lot of play or clicks multiple times you have an issue

Let me know if I did this right, not sure if I understood correctly what you were saying haha

Nah lock the wheel and slowly rotate the motor gently

Either the motor wiggles a degree before it touches the next tooth, it’s got slop and you get several degrees of play, or something is loose and it has a second part that’s spinning about (loose gear or loose shaft)

Ah gotcha, yeah it holds pretty tight. There’s no extra play. Think I’m good or could it be a different issue?

If everything is tight then I have no idea

1 Like

appreciate it either way! in your experience are most motor problems pretty evident while riding? I’m not tooooo worried just cause it feels super smooth and I haven’t noticed any performance issues.

No actually, I had a motor axle come completely loose, didn’t see until I had it on the bench

1 Like

great! :sob: