DIY Wheelbite help.

So I’m currently working on a parts list for a high end board. This will be my first one that I plan on using 110mm street wheels for school work etc., and then slap on 160mm at wheels for the dirt and pebble paths. I wanted to know your thoughts and if you think ill get wheel bite that is my biggest concern.
deck
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/73437/landyachtz-2020-evo-40-spectrum-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip

trucks

wheels

I have also looked at the switchblade 40 deck to see if it would fit the wheels better

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/73433/landyachtz-2020-switchblade-40-chief-night-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip

Thanks for the help I don’t really mind which deck I use I just wanted to know if those parts would support the 160mm wheels without wheelbite.

I’d go with wider trucks. Something like Boardnamics 270mm or 3Ds Fatboy 270mm hangers. That will give you more space for 160mm wheels

3 Likes

@eBoosted has enclosures for both of those decks

https://www.eboardsperu.com/product-category/enclosures/

1 Like

ya that cite was what I was going off of, considering they are both maple decks they dont have flex, andI have every thing chosen including the 110mm wheels which work but the only thing Im uncertain off is whether the 160mm all terrain wheels will work

So would I instead of buying the trucks purchase this hanger and source the base somewhere else? Also would the torqueboards mount still work
V7 Motor Mount w/ Drive Wheel Kit – DIY Electric Skateboard

I also confirmed with the battery provider that the 12s4p battery fits in both as well as the esc

1 Like

I got baseplates coming for them but it will be 3 weeks or so

2 Likes

shoot thats fine I aint building this for a bit

1 Like

Every time I see a wheelbite thread it ends up being about the Switchblade :laughing:

Avoiding wheelbite on that deck and big wheels is a bit of a challenge.

• The easiest way is to use wide DKP trucks. Those extend the wheelbase, and you should be fine.
  • Then there’s eboosted, who used Surf Rodz RKP trucks (have a longer whelebase by default) and he made an aluminum plate to extend the truck mounting holes even further than usual. Long axles of course, and he also got pneumatic wheels on, although a bit smaller.
  • I personally have a build in the works where I use 260mm TKP trucks and 6.5" wheels. No wheelbite what so all, but good luck finding such trucks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So yes, you can make it work, but you need a truck with a wider than usual wheel base relative to the mounting holes (TKP trucks, Surf Rodz, or Kahua), possibly will need to extend the mounting holes, and yeah, definitely a wide hanger, something like 260mm minimum.

3 Likes

I’ll second what @rusins said. I picked up a Switchblade 40 and I had to really crank down the trucks to avoid wheel bite with 75mm wheels and 187mm hangers. I would skip straight to Boardnamics 270s if you are dead set on that deck. Otherwise a metal plate to extend the mounting locations should work with 220mm hangers. I like big wheels, so in the end I decided to build a Demonseed 42 instead.

What trucks were you using? I have plenty of clearance and no bite on my 40 push board with 69mm wheels and 180mm Paris v3s, even with the bushings finger tight.

I was testing out the Switchblade on an analog setup with Boardnamics 187mm hangers. I used an inner bearing race plus another 5 or 6, 1mm spacers on each side to move the wheels out as far as possible while still leaving the minimum amount of thread needed to secure the wheel nuts. The wheels were Loaded Durians (75mm). If I want to run big wheels (100mm+) with this deck I would drill some additional mounting holes further out and I would also probably want to use wider hangers.

2 Likes

Ok I think I know why. Calibers tend to be the lowest of the common RKP trucks, which brings them closer to the deck by about .2" compared to the Paris. They also have the least amount of offset, which pushes the wheelbase an inch closer than the Paris trucks. All of these make it more likely to bite, even though your wheels are spaced nearly 20mm wider than mine.

2 Likes

I have an extra set of Paris V3s on the shelf. I will try them out to see if it helps. I really like the contours of that deck and how planted my feet feel on it.

Yep it’s a great deck. The Parises should help with the bite, as just the offset alone should give you an extra inch of wheelbase compared to the Boardnamics. They’re known for being relatively tall trucks, especially their TKPs.

What about the evo deck how big you think i should go with the trucks for that

It’s partly personal preference, but I know for sure you can run 6" wheels or 110s with 220mm hangers on the Subsonic Century and I believe the EVO has a similar shape.

220mm is a good hanger size if you want to be able to go for 2X 6380 motors.

Do a search for ‘Evo’ on the forum and checkout some build threads.

whats the difference between the century and evo?

Different manufacturers: Landyachtz and Subsonic. The Century has a more extreme drop down at 2". Otherwise they are quite similar.

I think I would go with the evo then because I need clearance, also I havent seen much information about motor size difference, basically whats the difference between a 6380 motor and a 6396 motor