Direct Drive Pneumatic Board | Budgetskater 41.5" Drop-Down | eLofty Direct Drive | 8S5P custom N.E.S.E | FSESC 6.6 | 6x2 Aliexpress Pneumatic Wheel

This is a duplicate thread to one in the other forum. In terms of updates I’ll keep them synced up.

Build Thread

image image image

This thread is to document my 3rd build. I am pretty happy with my 2nd build documented here and I have put more than 400km on it already. I am going to be reusing a lot of the ideas that worked well with the previous build, while correcting the mistakes made. In particular,

I am keeping:

1. 6x2 pneumatics
  2. NESE battery pack
  3. Wheel guards
  4. drop down board
  5. Shielding motor from tiny rock impact
  6. Trolley handle at the back
  7. Start switch at the back too

I am changing:

1. NESE box design and mounting style
  2. Enclosure will now be 3d printed and given a glass fibre skin for better fit
  3. Better waterproofing
  4. The phase+sensor wires will now plug into connectors near trucks
  5. charging connector will be in a 3D printed box placed near start switch

Parts list:

Deck: 1 X BudgetSkater drop down = $40(shipped)
Direct Drive: 1 X eLofty direct drive motor and hangar = $319(shipped)
BasePlate: 2 X Independent Baseplate = $0(added with bushings below)
Bushings 1X Thunder Bushing = $22(shipped)
ESC : 2 X FSESC 6.6 = $220(haven’t bought it yet)
NRF51 for VESC: 1 X FlipSky NRF51_vesc: $10
Battery : 40X Samsung 25R(10S4P)= $120 shipped
Battery pack: 5 N.E.S.E Tabs only = $31(shipped)
NESE Box: $15(needs about half kg of PETG)
NESE Vibration Mount: 3x 8Pack= $10(shipped)
BMS: charge only = 11(shipped)
Wheels: Aliexpress 6X2 (alu)wheels= $72(Shipped)
Enclosure: 3D printed and skinned = $30(rough estimate, will change)
M5X10 Wood Insert: 1x 50pcs = $3(shipped)
M5 Anodized Fancy Washer: 1X 20Pcs = $3(shipped)
Remote: Mini Remote = $19(Shipped)
Wheel Guard: 3D printed = $10
Miscellaneous: Connectors, glue, wires…= $20

I believe, I have included everything possible and the total cost of the build would be around $955.

For the eLofty DD, do check both the stores cheng182018 and ke2155. I don’t have a fixed link because they keep on expiring. You could also make a offer to the seller.

Here is a link to the esk8 calculator with my build information.

Update1(03/29/2019)

The deck came. It looks and feels really good at $40 shipped. Almost the same size and quality as the skateshred deck from my second build, just a tiny bit wider which is perfect. It’s 9 ply, so pretty stiff and that’s preferable for speed, also I don’t need flex for city rides because I’ll be using penumatics.

Since it’s a blank board, I am starting to think of colors. The first thing that comes to my mind is black and second is gold. The medley might actually look classy if done right. I found a few pics that I can draw inspiration from.

10 Likes

Nice incoming build ! :smiley:

But why is your battery in the calculator a 8S5P and not a 10S4P ? Same cells number but differents values for range, voltage, etc… ?

@Slak, It’s a direct drive( no gearing) so the top speed will be much higher if I use 10S. I could have just used 10s4P and limited the speed in the VESC settings but I preferred to go for 8S5P is that I can upgrade to 10S5P very easily if I am not satisfied with the range and performance of 8S5P setup.

The deck came. It looks and feels really good at $40 shipped. Almost the same size and quality as the skateshred deck from my second build, just a tiny bit wider which is perfect. It’s 9 ply, so pretty stiff and that’s preferable for speed, also I don’t need flex for city rides because I’ll be using penumatics.

Since it’s a blank board, I am starting to think of colors. The first thing that comes to my mind is black and second is gold. The medley might actually look classy if done right. I found a few pics that I can draw inspiration from.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll maybe go 6S on one of my builds for the same reason (not enough torque and too much speed if I go 12S). I just talk about 10S4P because it’s what you said in your first post :wink:

Get @Sender to do a layer of black CF with this cut in vinyl and overlaid before the final epoxy layer and frit. That would be epic!

7 Likes

That’s a great idea. I’ll probably go for something like this. I do have access to a vinyl cutter and a spare unpowered board to try on.

I personally don’t like the CF texture if I am going for something artistic. If my aim is to show speed, strength or something technical, then CF looks really good there.

1 Like

He, did this build get finished? (And if so, what enclosure did you use?)

1 Like

long time ago! No enclosure.

5 Likes

I won’t buy this deck again. The layers delaminated. I am still using it but it sound funny.

2 Likes

Haha, damn, no enclosure! I like your style!
Was curious about the deck, I guess you could just swap it out with a fancier deck, an Evo or something. How do you find the e-lofty’s? Is the torque good?

Been using this setup for more than a year. Torque is good enough for my city. No complaints.

5 Likes

Can you tell me what are these wheels and how did you mount them on dd?

4 Likes