ENNOID XLITE & VESC

Wow, that was fast…

Davega is UART based I think? or maybe CAN?

Should I consider going eventually non isolated for CAN bus? This would allow maybe to get CAN working during charging & ESC is OFF… I went isolated for reliability reasons, but I might reconsider this for future update.

1 Like

DAVEGA currently only has UART and connects to VESC. The BMS is then expected to be connected to VESC via CAN so that DAVEGA can access it using VESC’s CAN forwarding.

Maybe we can trade a DAVEGA for an E-BMS. Would be helpful for developments.

In general, if you can still afford making backwards incompatible changes in the BMS firmware, I would highly recommend that you maintain compatibility with the DieBieMS CAN communication as much as possible. There are other esk8 telemetry devices that support DieBieMS – Metr definitely does. Robogotchi might as well. @DRI? If you maintain the compatibility it will be much easier/faster for these devices to enable support for your EBMS, which is a significant selling point for customers in the esk8 world.

5 Likes

Eventually I need to update the protocol as well ( to avoid packet conflict with VESC ). I will add a transition period where both offsets are supported.

There is a large update upcoming ( with only no/little protocol changes, no worries ) also with support straight into the VESC tool. I am waiting until Trampa/Benjamin release their next revision of the code / hardware to be compatible with that straight away.

5 Likes

Glad to hear from you Danny, I have some folks working on the code on my side as well. Let me know if you need anything. IMO there is still a lot of cleaning to do in some .c files. Things are hard to modify & troubleshoot in modOperationnalState honestly. The GCC porting is also fully functionnal, not my work by the way…many thanks to @drdrs That GCC porting of the code was necessary I think in order to bring more external contributers to the project. Keil uVision is an expensive piece of software and is not needed anymore.

I also realised that the newest VESC firmware was getting into conflict with DieBieMS, so that explain some changes I made.

1 Like

Sure, lets do that. PM me for details

4 Likes

sounds very exciting! any open source material to read on upcoming futures and changes on either or both ends? or may be you can share some cool facts to look forward? :smiley:

Starting the testing of those freshly designed 100V|75A ESC this week with my EBMS. Should be good for up to 20S in a 70mm x 75mm x 16mm package. DRV less design with IMU+bluetooth. It does not have one of those failure prone integrated anti-spark switch

14 Likes

75 battery current or phase current?

oh it is not FOC so phase current is not conttrolled than like in VESC?

looks about 100x100mm :+1: and with BT built in and usb C + no soldering :+1: nice one

estimated 75A battery current (quite conservative at the moment, will make it more official after high load final testing), maybe even more with proper cooling plates
70mm x 75mm x 16mm

VESC firmware support FOC…this ESC won’t make an exception…

2 Likes

Beautiful!! Does it have IMU?

Looks like the specifications at ENNOID - ESC include an accelerometer as an option.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. But I don’t know if means external/internal, like the bluetooth.
Now, thinking about the OW specifically. If he is aim to do a complete integral solution for OW too: As the VESC doesn’t have antispark mechanism, therefore the new narrow BMS OW friendly (the one he was talking about to be efficient in the 15s-20s range) has to be discharge too, and not only charge. Which I think is a good idea like Zippy pointed before.
Nice ENNOID, 100V ESC looks serious stuff. Looking forward to see more about it soon.

2 Likes

There is always the option to go with an anti-spark connector XT90S when used with a charge only BMS

2 Likes

nice size, Doesnt FOC require shunt resistor on each phase or at least on 2 phases as 3rd one can be calculated via SW? Or they are on other side?

EDIT: trace seems to be direct from the fet to the output. or I’m missing something

Like for the BESC, the 3 shunts are on the mosfets low side located at the back of the board.This will allow for even higher voltage operation without requiring design changes. e. g.: using 150V rated fets & caps

4 Likes

nice, looking very good :slight_smile: Hope it will work well :+1: I’m on UBOX now. it maxes out at 125 motor amps per motor and 200 amps battery total. More than enough for my single (for now) motor 650w motor (can take only about 90a motor current in summer without being too hot to touch :man_shrugging: during spring and fall 110a.

have to say though, it is already VERY fast single motor setup :DD 0-30kmh (20mph) in 3.6sec and 0-40kmh (25mph) in 6.6s

Second motor willl come later in July :wink:

I have to say that UBOX has been super great considering the price! Unlike FlipSky that is complete shit show… every one has at least few burned out before they switch to a proper VESC based esc or something else.

Any idea on the target price for your single one? Any plan for dual?

I’ll start selling a few hundred units before jumping onto the next ESC project. Price should stay close to 200$ for this version I think, probably a bit less. Unlike you might imagine, a good ESC has fewer components & complexity than a good BMS on a hardware standpoint. So price can stay quite low. Will see how it goes with beta testing.

3 Likes

180 for single and 300 for dual sounds perfect in my mind. Large part of why UBOX Spintened gained its popularity is reliability and price (used to be 250usd for dual, now it is 300usd, still veery good) So if you manage to really bring that at that price I think you will sell few hundred pc in no time :smiley:

Ennoid, are the bmses 2oz copper? Is it possible to connecto ennoid tool via the bluetooth of the vesc it’s connected to ?