ENNOID XLITE & VESC

you are not the first one on this forum asking me for a narrow charge only BMS version oriented for esk8. The thing is, my plate is already full at the moment. It would not take me more than a week of kicad related work to reorganise the whole PCB layout now that the 15S & 18S BMS design rules, schematics & firmware are validated… but not right now.

3 Likes

Just found this awesome project. I’ll be thinking about the 24S version for my own Onewheel rebuild.

Though fitting this size into a Onewheel is a challenge and likely means I’d have to put it on top of the battery (either sacrificing cells, or taking off the JSTs etc., if that makes it flat enough - unlikely). So I just thought I’d chime in with my own request for a narrow version. FWIW if you made a version that fits the Onewheel BMS slot (157x37mm), my bold prediction is they will eventually start selling like hot cakes when VESCs in Onewheels start spreading. And we definitely want to see that happen :slight_smile: The Onewheel battery is 15S, but 20S is possible now with @shaman’s little FOCer.

Perhaps we could try to gauge interest (via a poll or something), would you consider reevaluating your priorities if there is enough interest in the narrow version?

You can start a poll for knowing how much interest there is for a narrow version. Lets find out if it would be worth working on it…

Even the current OneWheel VESC community would go nuts over this ^^^

1 Like

You mean when I make a video about it? :sunglasses:
I know…I’m garbage.

But I’m all in for a slim 15-18s BMS that would fit in the same spot as a Future Motion BMS. Probably in for a few, I think.

1 Like

Here’s the poll to gauge interest in the narrow version of the charge-only version of the BMS (for a Onewheel or perhaps a different device), vote responsibly :slight_smile:

Would you be interested in narrow version of ENNOID-BMS-SS-LITE?
  • I would buy a narrow version of the BMS for my Onewheel
  • I would buy a narrow version of the BMS for something else
  • I’m getting the square version for my Onewheel
  • I’m getting the square version for something else

0 voters

You mean when I make a video about it? :sunglasses:
I know…I’m garbage.

Not sure what you’re talking about :smiley: but I’d ask you make a video about it only after I get two for myself :wink:

Added the poll, I’ve left out the size (number of cells) out of it for simplicity, hope it doesn’t matter too much.

For completeness I thought I’d also mention if the BMS was to be made to fit the Onewheel, it’s housed in the battery box at an angle and so the placement of connectors would also be important for it to fit. Here are my pictures of XR/Pint battery boxes with some measurements I did, just to give an idea.

8 Likes

You are my new best friend.

8 Likes

It’s also worth noting that the Onewheel BMS is a charge and discharge BMS, but for a DIY build trying to squeeze out as much as they can from a battery, the discharge would be unnecessary I think.

Just saying…

I also voted. I ordered the 18S Lite, but will also buy a narrower one if there comes to be one.

And I’ll buy whatever else comes out that I can more easily use to gut and rebuild Onewheels to be speedy death machines.

1 Like

Manufacturer simply can’t really give a warranty on the battery pack with a BMS that does not have a direct control on the discharge path. Most new users would drain the battery to the last drop of juice at their first discharge…

I should be able to start shipments of the LITE BMS version by next week. I have been slowed down a bit lately because of my wife end of contract rush which ended today. I was trying to work from home while taking care of the kids which turned out to not be very productive. Back to the workshop on monday…

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. I agree. I was just speaking from a point of view of myself, and at least a few other Onewheel folks who are getting into builds and conversions, trying to squeeze as much power as we can from the motor. That’s not to discount your project or the work that you and others are doing. I’m very grateful for all of it. :pray:

What would your estimate be of the max possible height (thickness) for the BMS? No higher than an XT60 or is there a bit more room available?

1 Like

Depends on the placement of the thick part. I hope it’s somewhat visible from the pictures (look at the XR one on the top, where the BMS is in its position). Along the bottom side of the BMS there’s very little space. In the middle part there’s a lot of thickness available, around where the JSTs are. Possibly 15mm? Then at the top there’s less room again, I’d say the top edge of the XT60s is roughly at the maximum height at that spot.

I don’t know how to measure this reliably, but if someone’s interested, I can try to provide more measurements.

2 Likes

Thank you, that helped a lot!

1 Like

typical hight is usually not higher than 18mm due to the fact that bmss is often installed in free series space of multi layer battery pack or next to single layer battery pack on sk8

My idea was fro BMS to fit on side of 2 layer high pack so about 38mm wide (19+19mm) and up to 130mm long(65+65mm). but really I think any one would be happy with up to 45mm width for sure, because 38mm x130mm may be impossible but 45mm x up to 130mm is realistic on my guesstimation.

1 Like

Well, the vote count after a couple of days is very low, so I don’t think there is any reason to rush the design of a narrow version.

That being said, I think 30x130 is possible. The surface area would then be the same as the actual square LITE version.

3 Likes

Yes… disappointing :no_mouth: Thanks for still considering it though! I still think the interest will grow a lot when the VESCs become more wide-spread.

I’m also thinking about attempting to document the space available for the Onehwheel BMS in the thickness dimension better, I have an idea for that. It’s a bit tricky…

Polymer clay? :thinking:

1 Like

I was thinking of cutting a triangle from cardboard until it fits perfectly and then measure it.

Never worked with polymer clay, don’t have it on hand and not sure I wanna mess with it. But tbh. if someone promised to make a BMS to fit if I do it I would. Even if the S was 18 or lower (meaning I may not use it myself), I’d do it for the people! :smiley:

2 Likes

In fairness…very few people knew about the poll. I’m pretty certain if you had a drop in replacement sized BMS for that compartment, you’d sell quite a lot. Not just to people here, but hundreds that don’t even know this forum exists. And Onewheel repair shops all around the world, especially as more people get them outside the US and can’t send them back to the US for repair. And as the Balance App code gets better suited to tuning that shape of device.

Sure, I’m partial. But I also know how OW people are. They’re pretty spendy.

But anyway, I anxiously await the 18s Lite and will likely buy several of them. So…as you were, everyone. I don’t mean to come off as a pest about it.

Sits and waits in anticipation

:relaxed:

3 Likes