Dickyho AT vs HaggyBoard AT

After thinking about it for over a month, I was just about to pull the trigger on a HaggyBoard AT drive set when I found out about the @dickyho AT kit on eBay which would be 1/2 the price when motors are factored in. Now I’m not so sure the haggyboard drive is the right choice. Is it really that much better?

Can I carve with the dickyho setup? What is your experience with it? I’ll be running my setup on 12s, mostly on paved roads and gravel paths if it makes a difference. Thanks!

2 Likes

If you go haggy you can get maytech motors which is a plus.

Personally I thought the kahua trucks are good for the cost (they are massive), the haggy press fit pulleys are sweet.

15:36 with 190KV @12S is really fast

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll look into that. The other drawback of the haggys is that I can currently only get 190kv which will be INSANE.

1 Like

insane is how I would describe running that setup on 120mm wheels.

170KV would be much nicer.

1 Like

WOW, Ok. So do you think the dickyhos would be my better bet then?

I’ve never had the pleasure of riding the whole haggy drive train, but I’ve ridden the dickyho AT kit and the Haggy Bergmeister wheels. If you are on a budget I would without question send dicky a message, but if you can afford to pay premium the Bergs are soo much nicer.

As a note the motors will run slower than theoretical, so 190 will be fine

1 Like

@dickyho 's setup is worth it except a couple of issues:

1. His mounts slip very easily. I got around this by drilling a small hole into the truck where the grub screw would go in. This solved the slipping issue but it needs to be done with precision.

2. His pulleys will not work with caliber or TB trucks.

3. The bushings and pivot cups are ass. I’d swap em out for Riptide 90A / 93A

I personally don’t feel like the Haggyboard drive train is worth it, as long as you’re willing to fix the few problems w/ DH’s AT kit.

I’ve used his AT kit w/ 6x2 wheels for a long time and it worked out great for me! Not the best quality but it’s price literally beat everything else out of the market.

Although, I wouldn’t recommend his motors. Go w/ Flipsky if you want budget motors.

2 Likes

Ima put this right about here. Stay safe :grin:

9 Likes

I hate that the wire on the motors he sells are like 16 AWG, the motors themselves are not horrible but I wouldn’t buy them again.

2 Likes

Yeah. That’s the biggest flaw that kit has. Thin ass motor phase leads lol

2 Likes

Everything else seems fine :rofl:

1 Like

WOW thats a scary picture. Do you know what happened? Did @dickyho change things after that or is the current product the one that broke like that? The only reason I ask is because I don’t see the brace or motor guard in the photo and they are on the ebay listing.

Also, does the thin motor phase wire make a functional difference or is avoiding 16awg a personal preference? Thanks!

Not my board but that’s A recent picture

Can’t go into details cuz I’ve never owned his AT setup but I’m pretty sure @dickyho will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have :love_you_gesture:t3:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I was going to get his motors because of the price but I guess I’ll steer clear. I have no problem drilling into the truck to stop the slipping, thanks for the tip!

Can you carve with his setup?

Yeah, I mean the carving isn’t really any different from other kits, as long as you get RipTide bushings and pivot cups.

To reiterate tho, his motors aren’t horrible, they just aren’t worth the hassle in my opinion. Flipsky is more expensive but on @chrischo1996’s build they lasted forever. I think he might also have a pair that he’s tryna sell.

1 Like

Got it, thanks. What sort of hassle did you experience? Noise? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I really appreciate all your help.

No you’re good. The slipping was the hassle. I wasn’t expecting it at first. The drilling really helped tho. There isn’t really any noise.

2 Likes

Dont use solid tires. This is more than likely caused by solid tires and rough use, use pnumatic kits.

2 Likes

Do you have any recommendations for a budget friendly pneumatic kit?

You can get the mount to stop slipping on the paris trucks witbout drilling, the trick for me was to tighten down the grub screws after tightening the clamp, depending on angle a little hard. Drilling it does end all potential problems though and is super easy if you have something to mark the trucks through the hole and then take off the moint. Hole only needs to be very shallow

1 Like