DAVEGA X feature requests

Not yet but the config option is on my TODO list.

Not at the moment but I’ll send a screenshot or a short vid later.

It’s very small. The same size as the green/red square indicating the VESC communication. Shouldn’t be distracting.

1 Like

Quick demo. I changed the single digit to two digits at last. Single digit representing tens would be a bit difficult to explain. Now it simply shows the number of km/miles traveled since the last backup and it doesn’t go beyond 99.

The demo shows a state where 35 km have been traveled since the last backup and the auto-backup is setup to be done after each 10 km. That’s why there’s yellow background – the last backup already expired. The yellow also indicates that DAVEGA is actively looking for its known WiFi.

3 secs in the vid, I enable the WiFi hotspot on my phone. Another 3 secs later, DAVEGA manages to connect and quickly performs the backup.

After that, the indicator is reset (now showing “0 km since the last backup”) and gets green background.

2 Likes

I like that it takes almost no space since it is located on the same row at the top :+1:

2 Likes

Hey, bumping this old thread to address something I’ve found.

A lot of vesc based escs are horrible with voltage monitoring. For example, my old makerx DV4 was 0.6v off, and the BalancePro Gold in my floatwheel is a whopping 1.9v off. AFAIK, there’s no voltage compensation in vesc tool, but it would be nice to have a voltage offset in davega firmware so we don’t have to do mental math to compensate for the inaccurate voltage monitoring.
@janpom

1 Like

This is an awesome feature request, and it would be great to have in the VESC tool as well. @Deodand?

I had a mini panic attack when I saw “48.5v” on vesc tool and my charger had turned green. I’ve never opened up a board faster :rofl:

2 Likes

How would you do it though? There’s no guarantee the error is the same throughout the whole voltage range. Adding a voltage correction coefficient is easy enough. I can do that in 5 minutes. I’m just afraid it won’t work very well.

Let’s try to collect some data to have some insights about what the correction should look like. If anyone would like to contribute, please send the following info:

• VESC type
  • voltages near 100% SoC
  • voltages near 50% SoC
  • voltages near 0% SoC

where “voltages” is a pair of:

• VESC reported voltage
  • voltage measured by a multimeter or a BMS

If possible, please measure the voltage using more than one method (e.g. use two different multimeters or BMS+multimeter) to make sure you have an accurate value.

3 Likes

Hm, I didn’t even consider that it may not be a constant offset. I’ll watch my voltages and probe em.

1 Like

I’ll be using a davega x in my future ebike build, would it be possible for the davega x to switch between speed modes? Maybe a feature request? :slight_smile:

So far the DAVEGA philosophy has been “don’t touch the VESC settings”. It treats VESC as strictly read only. This is for safety reasons. I would hate to see anyone injured as a result of a bug in my code.

There’s a number of inexpensive alternatives. BT module is like $2, VESC app or Xmatic is a few bucks. The more advanced solutions like Metr or Robogotchi don’t break the bank either.

1 Like

Fair enough reason. I just want to switch between profiles using the davega x rather than using a phone, it eliminates additional steps and having to switch it easily.

1 Like

Use your phone instead. While I like DAVEGA and it is awesome, it is actually simpler to use your phone mounted on the handlebar.

Does the current davega firmware have the ability to alert the user to out of spec data via a warning of some sort?
Specifically, I’m thinking about over/under operating temp warnings. Ideally, user configurable.

Maybe it does this already and I haven’t noticed. But I would love the mosfet temp numbers to turn red / have a red box when outside threshold values. Texas in the summer will make this feature quite useful.

Alerts could also be useful for:

• max speed (for countries with legal limits on PEVs)
  • min battery/cell voltages
  • max motor amps
  • max battery amps
1 Like

There’s nothing like that at the moment. The closest is displaying VESC faults. If there’s OVER_CURRENT, OVER_TEMP_FET, or OVER_TEMP_MOTOR, you’ll get an alert on your DAVEGA. The alert requires acknowledging by pressing a button to make sure it’s not missed.

1 Like

Hi Jan,

What’s the chance of having custom bootloader screens at start up? You can probably guess the logo I’d go for, but I’m sure others would love to have the feature. Would add a useless but personal touch to each build :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey @janpom, idk how feasible this is, but could we somehow get directions from google maps on the davega? I was informed that running gmaps directly is pretty much impossible, but how about having the davega link to the phone over bt and then have it display some rudimentary directions, like with android wear devices?

I had a nice fall today because I was looking at gmaps while driving. Having the directions right there on my board would be huuuuuge. :smiley:

Also @DerelictRobot says he’s sorry for sending me your way.

6 Likes

Not to distract from your idea but why not use the speakers of your phone to give directions?

Because I can’t hear shit when I’m driving over gravel. :smiley:

Earbud/s?

Not everyone likes it. I personally ride with just one earbud in, in my case the opposite of the traffic so i am still aware of all my surroundings.

This is unlikely to happen for the DAVEGA. There’s something else under way though where navigation is one of the items on the backlog. It’s still months away. I won’t share more details at this point.

3 Likes