davega screen dead - how to backup?

hi there,

messing with an unnecessarily messy motor replacement for a couple days made me a little angry which made me a little careless, which somehow made me manage to break the screen of my davega, I already ordered a replacement (the kit, as there is not single screen to buy from davega) and I am now trying to get a backup without a working screen.

from what I gathered,

• I need to do a backup first, which involves browsing the davega.
  • my screen is broken, so I don’t know how many buttons to press when.
  • I have version 4.x but I tried davega tool to “Import files (.dfs)” - no luck as I probably need to bkp 1st
  • my left button doesn’t work reliably, so I will have to do everything with middle and right button I rcgn

so I wonder, is there another way to get a backup, like, one without user interaction on the device itself?
basically I just don’t want to lose the global data, total mileage and such.

If you ever connected it to Wifi then it should do an automatic backup as soon as it connects and you leave it for a bit. Idk how broken the screen is but maybe you can spot it restart, that means it is doing it (the backup).

I got it working, with a little help from jan understanding the commands. a couple notes for other users in here:

• Davega tool v1.3 did NOT work in my case, make sure you also try v1.2
  • the tool does not mention the magic word “backup” at all, instead you need to guess what every command does
  • first I went for option 4 as it mentions dfs files, which is related to backups from surfing around the website, and it even says “import” so logically this will import the backup to your computer, but oh no…
  • really what you need to do is use option 5, exporting the “file system” lol - ok this is just a case of bad naming of functions.

you can’t export file systems, a system is a system, it does not contain content, a file system contains partitions, if you want to export a partition, a new user would gather more quickly that this might be the backup function. I would just call option 4 and 5 save backup and restore backup…

so I finally succeeded the backup all data (to a dfs file btw…) using option 5 (…) and am waiting for a replacement screen, which needs to be soldered in, which can be tricky but in my case I can handle it.

1 Like

Regarding naming, the commands are in the DAVEGA context, so “export” means “export from DAVEGA” and “import” means “import to DAVEGA”. This is consistent with other command names. “Show device ID” also shows the DAVEGA ID and not your computer ID.

I don’t quite agree with your “export a file system” argumentation. To “export a file system” is a commonly used term. You will even find command line tools names exportfs and alike.

Also, a file system is the way files are organized on a partition. You can have multiple partitions, each with a different file system. You could also think about partitions as a file system since that’s a higher level view of how the data is organized on the storage but to the best of my knowledge it’s not commonly referred to as a “file system”.

2 Likes