First MTB | Haero Bro | 12S 28AH lipos | Eco AT V2 GD | Focboxs

I don’t normally do build logs…

Inspiration for this came from the Internal Revenue Service, and persuading my wife to let me have this one 100% with no strings attached granted I quit nicotine… if anything is going to motivate me besides myself its going to be a new build right?

This one has me excited. Since sometime around the 4th grade I have dreamed of mountain boarding. This will be my second (real) dedicated board/build… not counting the random decks, motors, drivetrains, etc that has been swapped around on my first build or shit tossed together with spare parts.

Enough chit-chat. Thanks to all the vendors!

Pics

Placeholder store pics for now

Annotation 2020-04-14 234231 Annotation 2020-04-14 234252

That’s it for now… Assuming it could be a while with the whole covid situation, I’ll update when things start coming together in the future.

15 Likes

The Haero army beckons you!

7 Likes

What gear ratio are you running, tire size, and how much torque do you get on that thing?

I swear to god I have seen pics of this elsewhere and I spent about an hour trying to find a similar soft case/bag for my lipos but ended up just settling on the hard case, your soft case (and whole board for that matter!) is so sexy man… can you link that bag? If it fits my lipos id rather something like that.

I haven’t figured out how I am going to mount my battery case… I was planning on lining the bottom with thick neoprene foam and wrenching it down to the deck with these long thick velcro straps I have on hand.

1 Like

Need to start charging @Haeroboards royalties for that pic. Looking forward to your build @Skatardude10!

4 Likes

Do you have the neoboxs already from the v1 batch or will you have to wait for v2?

1 Like

build thread.
i been mucking around with it right now its 10:40 9 inchers running 170 kv
look for bag smart on amazon. that bag is too small for what you are trying to but they have bigger ones.
I don’t attach my enclosure. I use the gel non slip pads for car dash and straps. works very well with bags :slight_smile:
Late here can add link tomorrow. Looking forward to the build!!!

1 Like

Sweet, thanks man!

Edit - found it :call_me_hand:

I’ve been running the first batch on my Evo, they are staying in there… ill be waiting for the second batch for this.

1 Like

Do you happen to have a link to the straps you use? Ps, this build is gonna be sweeeeeet!

2 Likes

That’s a tasty catalog of goodness there. Will be watching.

2 Likes

Some care packages have arrived to hold me over… waiting on milliput to start battle hardening.

5 Likes

@3DServisas, thank you so much for the works of art! I didn’t realize how monstrous these things are, TB218 hangar on Paris baseplate for scale. Everything (so far) fits just right, amazing… going to be getting motors on, loctite the few screws, grease them up, etc tonight… maybe test spin off the deck (deck is the last thing before I can at least get it all running with old focboxes and old remote… gahhhh!!!

11 Likes

the Bro seems to be waiting in customs… I’ve been chilly-willin slowly making progress with drilling out the heatsink/mounting holes, balancing tires, organizing battery wires, printing wedges, that’s about it…

I guess the wait is good so that maybe I’ll have everything set to go to just bolt onto the deck when it gets here and ride. The wait hurts. I like the color of the printed parts though… I guess it’s going to be a blue build, minus red shims for the hardware on the front… All blue with a dash of red. I am past the point of can’t wait, it’s time for me to just lay down and let my head melt. I am hesitant to wire the battery to the ESC case with loop key before I have the deck.

I used some double sided tape before wrapping in kapton, as a brick of 4 6s lipos it was already solid without the kapton.

9 Likes

Woah man this is a pretty epic collection of parts going together, 28Ah sounds really good.

Very much looking forward to seeing it complete and undergo testing!

3 Likes

I’m getting quite a bit antsy to ride some off-road… hearing about shipments via USPS from overseas taking 38+ days is killing me so I went out and got a skate deck to mount some components on. I glassed the bottom hoping it would help with some of the flexiness, but it’s looking like maybe I’m just going to crack this deck if I push it too hard and that I should probably just suck it up and wait to build it all out on the Haero properly.

5 Likes

Continuing on with this journey, the skateboard deck fiberglassed with 3 layers on the bottom. of (Lowe’s fabric), one of which is Bondo (Yuk!) resin and 2 more layers with gflex epoxy (awesome stuff!!!), and on top one full layer with 3 large overlapping diamond shaped layers to cover the deck once with diagonal strands to reduce torsional flex, and a couple stringers.

I tried the flex out after one layer on the bottom cured and it was still quite a bit too flexy, enough to give up on it for a couple weeks until I realized the bro might not be getting here for a while. That’s when I snagged some GFlex 650 epoxy and another bag of fiberglass cloth. Now the board is still flexy, but it’s got snap to it, and much stiffer than it was before, almost perfect… If I knew for a fact it wouldnt snap no matter what strain I put on it, I’d call it perfect.

I think the amount of grease I used works quite well, the drive train not under acceleration is super quiet…

And holy crap. I’ve been out 4 or 5 times so far but haven’t given it full throttle until tonight, and maybe not even… I need to wait for the bigger deck and bindings, the torque is wild, you can’t feel any sag it’s just pooooooweeeerrrr… Under 3500W load, these batteries sag 0.2V according to my logs.

I can’t wait to get this all swapped over to the Bro deck, and spend some time actually doing up the wiring nice with some proper heat shrink cloth, giving it all the final touches for now.

5 Likes

The Whole build is looking sick👍🏻

1 Like

haha, that battery looks like it fills up that box perfectly! Those things are punchy, who needs a BMS? even that lil imaxB6 will charge at 5+ amps :beer:

1 Like

well, finally got bindings on tonight after holding off thinking I’d be transferring it all to the bro soon anyway…

So glad I did, I can happily resume waiting for the bro deck now… First time trying bindings on any of my own boards and wow… 200% more locked in, can take quick tight turns fast without fear now of getting whipped off… hard braking and accelerating on a whim now is fine with the short wheelbase.

Bonus shots of an estate trike…

2 Likes

Is that just a regular popsicle board deck right now? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

lol, yep… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes