Chubby - the best thumb mod of the mini remote, 02.07.20 - files and instruction added

The pictures are out and I had several pm’s, so here it goes.

02.07.20 update
Files are here:

How-to is here:
https://dosimplecarbon.com/how-to-turn-your-mini-into-chubby/

First thing first - it’s called Chubby Guppy. :grinning:
It’s a direct descendant of the Fish Hook, but it’s doesn’t have any hook, so I stayed with the fish theme.
As any name it’s fluid so feel free to suggest alternatives.

**Edit: it’s Chubby now thanks to @Mobutusan, post 29

The goal here was to improve the former design, and make it as compact as possible while still being convenient to operate.
I didn’t like the potentiometer in the mini - it’s flimsy and repacking it is a pain. Also in Fish hook it was suspended between two halves and they needed to be aligned in order to move freely.

So I decided to look for better pot and I’ve found this.
The substitute is direct, the mini uses 5k pots as well.

This one is built much better with enclosed spring, I will take one apart and show comparison in the near future.

Today I assembled the first unit and got to ride. There were some issues with the assembly so the files are not available for now. Instead of the how-to post I’ll be doing a blog post about all the fuckups :grinning:
Nothing serious though, will be solved.

Riding:
**I didn’t change any settings when going from the mini. Not even a rebind, took it apart and used the internals.

All the curves are squeezed naturally, feels very good in hand.
It’s more sensitive, the mushy feeling of start of motion is gone.
It has more throw, I can do hills that I couldn’t with the mini. (Same remote)

Overall I’m happy with the mod, the files will be available once everything is fixed.

Any questions are welcome,
Dani

36 Likes

Haha, YES!
very cool mod, I’m a die hard thumbwheel guy myself, almost killed myself with a GT2b mod, lol.

I noticed you put a decent switch on there as well… noice.

12 Likes

Nice mod!

@iamasalmon
I hesitate more and more when switching between thumb and trigger for my fast boards. I used to be thumb wheel, ride or die. Now, I’m squarely on team snowflake, “triggered”.

12 Likes

Am I the only guy who goes both ways… with remotes…?

11 Likes

I also am favourable of both ways… just not dual trigger :face_vomiting:

6 Likes

Dual trigger ftw! Would be using a maytech dual trigger if I bought one during the sales :joy: I’m horrible at trigger but dual I was pretty good at…

4 Likes

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting: mine lasted one ride. Then I sold it :joy:

3 Likes

:joy: I used the one on @J0ker’s board and it was perrrfect… I’m worried that if I bought one it would have disconnect problems where I live…

1 Like

haha, funny thing, I have no problem using both hands, just could not get comfortable with the trigger (had the GT2B and a mini) :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Looking great, i’ll probably try this mod once you share the files.

1 Like

What’s dual trigger?

2 Likes

Like the evolve R2 and Maytech waterproof remote.

3 Likes

Is this remote friendly with gloves?

3 Likes

Another good one @dani!

Is the BOM much different from the fish hook? I think this would be more comfortable for me at least.

I wanna convert my fish hook to this soon!

3 Likes

That’s the main reason I did it.
Couldn’t fit gloves into the mini trigger

4 Likes

Thanks!

You don’t need the bearing, on the other hand the new pot is needed.
The reg remains the same and the big switch is different

3 Likes

Probably will give this a go as well when you release the files :slight_smile: I wanna Hoyt puck for my current build but I’m also cheap and I love my mini remotes.

2 Likes

With the GT2B or Mini. I use two fingers to control the trigger, gives more control and won’t accidentally accelerate when going over bumps

6 Likes

Nope I go 3 ways:

1. Split trigger maytech waterproof (favorite by far)
  2. Modded Mini remote
  3. Thumb wheel remote

#PromoteRemoteEquality

@dani dual trigger example

3ab7b9f6eb8881c7adf5aca3082f919a88e47d61_2_690x500

8 Likes

Looking forward to it, possible to upgrade the pot? Thoughts about machining the case out of hardwood?

3 Likes