Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

It’d still be very difficult to do, but it’d be possible to change it with just an iron.

Super-hard. But not impossible. Not with the hole there.

1 Like

I had to change a blown DRV IC on a VESC recently, so I bought a hot air station from Amazon for $38. It worked great. I definitely recommend getting one.

2 Likes

If I had a 300$ or whatever they cost unity or whatnot with a blown drv, I’d definitely buy one for 40$. But for a cheaper vesc if I could use my iron and just pay for the chip, fantastic.

I think you’re discounting the fact that chicks really dig a guy with a hot air rework station. :grin:

6 Likes

Where does the on/off switch go?

1 Like

This is just an ESC, which is more reliable. You can use a loopkey (recommended) or a stand-alone on/off switch.

2 Likes

A ON/OFF switch of choice can be put in place of the ON/OFF header. It controls power to the DRV and therefore everything else.

10 Likes

So I have yet another naive question…
Clearly turning it off will disable it, but does that mean there will be zero current draw from the batteries?

1 Like

The only current draw will be the leakage current of the bulk capacitors and MOSFETs. These currents are well into the micro-amp range. Its not zero current draw but its really really low.

4 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Taking a poll who would be interested in group buying a Cheap FOCer. Pricing is dependent on total quantity made, but estimate to be between $50USD and $60USD. An actual group buy won’t happen until I have more feedback from beta testing.

• I would be interested in 1 Cheap FOCer
  • I would be interested in 2 or more Cheap FOCers

0 voters

1 Like

Is that price for fully assembled, half assembled or bag of parts kit?

3 Likes

Fully assembled but no power/motor cables

2 Likes

@shaman sorry mate, i am too exited to solder this myself^^

1 Like

I plan to build a couple of your VESC6 based controllers.

Not to be pushy or anything. But do you have a guestimate on the schedule for release of this and for the VESC 6 based boards? I’m not really in a hurry - just kind of eager.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for more complete feedback from the beta test team for the Cheap FOCers before I move forward with a group buy for them. I’ve only had one beta tester so far give good feedback. Scheduling is hard being that I’m doing all of this in my spare time of which fluctuates wildly.

The VESC 6 based controllers is what I’m currently pouring more efforts into. I’m seeking to start beta testing for those in late summer. I also have plans to put these controllers through formal certification processes like FCC. I have no experience with this so I don’t know how long it takes. I’m trying to be much more formal with my VESC 6 based controllers by testing the hell out them, ensuring reliability, and ensuring legal compliance with FCC, CE, NRTL, ect.

5 Likes

was the other feedback user error based? problems with building the unit? or usage?

1 Like

The other testers simply haven’t gotten around to testing yet :confused: We are all busy with one thing or another but hopefully more results come in soon. I simply don’t have a machine to use a controller in so I’m completely dependent on others for feedback.

There is one instance of an issue with one of the Cheap FOCers. I helping troubleshoot it along with others. There might be an issue with motor detection with newer fw and the Cheap FOCer. I don’t have enough data yet to confirm.

5 Likes

I haven’t tested the FOCers yet. But I can confirm that I had issues with motor section on my FOCBoxes and FSESC’s with newer firmware. I’ve always had to up duty to .15 and current to 10. It might not be the FOCers. My motors should be in soon for me to test.

P.S- The newest version of the Vesc-Tool/firmware kills me. I have it and the auto values it gives are ridiculous.

1 Like