Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

I think that’s a different ESC LoL.z

3 Likes

I suspect artwork for this ESC could be a whole nother thread. I’m definitely interested in what people come up with though. I may shoot for a default image with SLJ with the help of @mmaner and then let the community mod it with whatever they want after full release.

So I’ve been experimenting more with this thing. As of right now there are some limitations. Max safe motor current with FOC is 50A. Around 55A to 60A the controller throws a DRV fault and sometimes doesn’t operate correctly thereafter until the controller is power cycled. With BLDC mode, I went up to 75A with no issue.

Motor detection with newer firmware doesn’t always yield the correct measurements. I think this has more to do with how the newer detection algorithm is working with my specific hardware design. FW3.62 works like a champ though. I’m still working this issue as I would like the CFOC2 to be compatible with the latest and greatest features that Mr. Vedder and @Deodand are cranking out (like the HFI thing).

11 Likes

This is more than enough for most people (in dual) if you need more your not in the cheap category!

9 Likes

What’s the “HFI thing”?

2 Likes

This :point_up_2:

A lot of other “cheap” HW6 ESC’s claim 50A max, but likely are not safe running FOC at 50A for any length of time. If this unit can safely run FOC at 50A no problem, then its already miles ahead of other “50A controllers.”

7 Likes
6 Likes

50A checks out on the bench. See my testing results earlier in this thread

1 Like

2 Likes

Working on it!

24 Likes

Also got the latest revision ready for JLCPCB once they get their SMT service back online. Assuming things go well with the beta units, I’m just going to validate this revision myself. Then I’ll kick it out to world.

23 Likes

I hope with the current coronavirus situation JLCPCB is still producing. Could be a real problem.

2 Likes

They are but with limited capability and a big backlog. No SMT service and no ENIG finish (gold plating for fancy PCBs)

6 Likes

Ran out of FETs but I had enough for these. I’ll snag some more FETs this week

21 Likes

So much want. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

It’s been a pleasure following your development!

1 Like

Any change your next focus will be on a 100v vesc ??

Thanks

3 Likes

Yes that’s still getting attention. There will be an update on that thread soon

5 Likes

oh boy… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

And to be clear, they are effectively 84V :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I’m still in progress with the assembly of the beta units. Unfortunately I’m out of town this week and can’t make further progress until I get back.

One thing I’ll do though is submit an order for the latest CFOC2 revision (the one w/ an IMU) now that JLCPCB is up and running again 100%!

20 Likes