Can I skate wet streets or in the rain?

Well. I would not suggest it, but look at the bright side if there are short circuit cause fire your in luck the rain definitely put out the fire.lol

no it was because my enclosure got botched.

1 Like

I’ve found aside from all the safety reasons stated about it’s just generally unenjoyable to ride in the rain; fighting to keep rain out of your eyes and getting soaked just isn’t fun for me.

It’s not fun, but you’ll get to where you need to be :ok_hand:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Look https://forum.esk8.news/u/lr-designs/summary profil :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just because you can, it doesn’t mean that you should.

I would avoid riding in the wet if possible. You will probably end up breaking some part of your body otherwise :man_shrugging:.

1 Like

When you gotta go to work, sometimes it rains :man_shrugging:

People shouldn’t drive cars in the snow or rain either, but life happens :woman_shrugging:

In both situations, you have to adjust to be more careful and go slower, sometimes much slower depending on weather conditions.

8 Likes

If you know the board can take it it can actually be fun! At least for me as it’s warm when it rains. Shorts and t-shirt. If it’s not raining your sweating balls.

1 Like

Obviously you need a waterproof setup and you need to go slower around corners. Metal or glossy surfaces equal death.

If your a noob to skating with a new unknown to water board just don’t!

I’ve been skating over 30 years, dry skating is boaring, it only gets interesting if it’s wet. :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

What pains me the most is that our $1000+ machines need to have tedious work done on them to be water resistant, meanwhile all the people with cheap electric scooters are commuting rain or snow no problem.

12 Likes

Well for most setups it’s like “Duh let me pour a plastic tray full of fragile electronics and big batteries, strap it under a plank of wood at less than 10cm from the ground”, what did you expect :joy::sob:

2 Likes

pneumatics make riding in the rain a lot less scary, but you’ve still got all of the bearings to worry about. 8 in the wheels, and often 3 in each motor. Yeah, i’d like to see people replace motor bearings “real quick.”

seal the box, eliminate holes whenever possible. Electronics often aren’t the issue, its wiring and the battery. Any sort of exposed solder joint or water int he pack will fuck it all up.

3 Likes

This. :arrow_up: I always use heatshrink on solder joints, but I put a sploosh of acrylic coating on the joint first then slide the tubing over it and shrink it while the acrylic is still drying. 100% waterproof.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking, if you treat the enclosure as permeable and make sure everything in the enclosure is waterproof, that might be easier to achieve. Kind of like the engine compartment in cars. Have a good drainage system and all.

Of course it’ll be more bulky.

Like, put the battery in a thin walled sealed box, and have standoffs so it sits above the floor of the enclosure like 1-2mm. Have the enclosure have a drain hole with baffles. Make the electronics modular and fully enclosed. etc.

5 Likes

I was thinking about a magnetic charging plug that attaches to the casing without penetrating it. Like the waterproof Xperia phones. I made movies under water with that thing.

Today I had no other choice but to go throug rain. I will be opening up the whole thing to dry for like the 8th time.

3 Likes

MAG SAFE

I bet these types of connectors are for sale somewhere

https://www.rosenberger.com/en/products/medical/magnetic.php

This is looks promising. Mouser Electronics also carries some magnetic connectors.

2 Likes

https://www.rosenberger.com/en/products/automotive/ropd.php these are the connectors used in electric bicycles https://lunacycle.com/rosenberger-magnetic-powerport-connector-set-male-and-female/

1 Like

Self mating doesn’t mean it’s waterproof at all. It’s just a convenience or safety thing, like on the older macbooks.

1 Like