Brock’s Batteries

As far as keeping it from the cells? The cells have fish paper wraps as well as fiberglass tape covering them. Or are you talking about something else?

I’m talking about the need to insulate balance leads that cross over one another w something that is effective against abrasion in an esk8 battery. Unless you re-pinned the bms harness with silicone wire, which is well-known to be highly resistant to abrasion, that battery would, imo not meet muster as the stock balance wires that come w most bms are plastic and prone to shorts over time in a high-vibration environment.

2 Likes

I was unaware of this issue. Thank you for pointing it out. I will go in and fix it later today and send updated pictures.

3 Likes

Southeastern United States

:eyes::eyes:

Packs look good, you must have taken the time to learn. You need some 70mm fish paper tho, would make your life a lot easier.

Also I would advise you consider the flow path of current in all connections, this to say, when you have a single solder joint for the pack terminations your forcing all the current to traverse the nickel and end up at one spot. That will generate a excess heat, I would recommend stripping back the wire and having multiple spots where it’s soldered to the wire. Similar to how you use multiple jumpers between P groups on flex packs.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the next part on my purchase list. It was a bit of a pain for the 75mm but I’m not one to waste materials

Also thanks of the tip. I’m about done with a flex pack as well so I see what you’re saying and it makes sense.

1 Like

It’s mostly an issue if there’s going to be compression between the balance leads. If they float in space, then extra insulation between them is fine, but not entirely necessary.

1 Like

I find it exceptionally unlikely you read through the battery builders thread even once if you were not aware of this. Anecdotally, it seems to be one of the more common issues brought up in there and is probably mentioned at least once every 500 posts.

3 Likes

I indeed have read through, but I have not read things word for word. I guess I misunderstood this issue as when I see the issues that are presented, if I understand the issue, I move on. I believe that I misunderstood just as I did in this thread, in the fact that it meant insulation from the cells.

Thank your for your input.

1 Like

Please teach this attitude to more people. :clap::clap::clap:

12 Likes

Great attitude dude :+1: As long as @A13XR3 and @TheBoardGarage are offering their advice, take advantage of it!

9 Likes

You can’t grow if you don’t learn, and you can’t learn if you don’t try.

It’s a mentality that has done great things for me and I don’t plan on stopping.

9 Likes

10 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

Clean work, dude! Can definitely see you getting requests for beauties like these.

3 Likes

Thanks man it means a lot

4 Likes

9 Likes